FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
First question is regarding my leaf cuttings for my fed vs unfed experiment. My unfed leaf is floating sideways in the water, the flat part where the strikes should come from is facing the side of the container. Could this be the reason it hasn’t had any strikes or even signs of calluses yet? It’s been floating for 5 weeks and 1 day. The fed leaf happens to be floating with the flat part up facing the light and has multiple strikes, one of which is coming along nicely. I’m not sure if it’s the fact that it was fed or if it’s just cause it’s facing up while the unfed isn’t. I hope this isn’t screwing up my experiments results.

My second question is about preying mantis’(mantises?). They finally got more mantis eggs at Star Nursery and I picked one up yesterday for $10. Has anyone else got any experience with hatching these eggs ? If so any tips? They also had lady bugs which is what I should have gotten cause I’ve already found aphids on some plants in my backyard(not my CP’s yet thx god lol) but the mantises are just way cooler

I had another question but I can’t remember what it was at the moment lol
Attachments:
The 2 mantis eggs
The 2 mantis eggs
F0AD39F3-28BA-4232-9D86-B757E789FE5C.jpeg (3.16 MiB) Viewed 2987 times
18D87D4D-4EE4-44E6-BDB4-F7E581FA3DAB.jpeg
18D87D4D-4EE4-44E6-BDB4-F7E581FA3DAB.jpeg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 2987 times
Unfed sideways leaf
Unfed sideways leaf
4523014C-B6FF-4D04-B631-C0232A672BC1.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 2987 times
By optique
When i make more sundews i poke a hole in some peat/perlite with a pencil and put the cutting in it. You have less plants but they grow much faster not having the split the energy from the cutting. temp and light do have a effect on growth.

Natural predator insects help but they will not stop aphids, if they did both would be extinct. I am a 2 hour drive from Clemson University they have some program that releases hoards of lady bugs every year. Even with a plague of lady bugs i still have aphids.
By thepitchergrower
optique wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:01 am
Natural predator insects help but they will not stop aphids, if they did both would be extinct. I am a 2 hour drive from Clemson University they have some program that releases hoards of lady bugs every year. Even with a plague of lady bugs i still have aphids.
I wish they did that here. :(

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

Hello from New England

Welcome

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

I’m a noob, so the only info I can offer you[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!