FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Myhumminbird
Edited to add that if you click on the picture, you will see all of the pictures, don't know what I did, but that works, thanks

OK, so the big ones got bigger, and have a lot more color, but some of them have just dissappeared. I had fungus gnats, lots, and put pieces of dunk in the bottoms of the pots. So what do you think, fungus gnats eating the little ones, too much water, not enough water? Or is this just par for the course? I did move them under a T5 bulb, and what about my wierd cup trap pulling, just a leaf with no trap? Thanks for looking and your thoughts, Myhumminbird
By Aging_Bourbon
Looks pretty good :)

member to keep the soil moist and give them plenty of light and they'll be fine
By BradR
Marie:
It's a little hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like you are having an algae bloom. Probably cyanobacteria, also known as Blue-Green algae. Some peat moss is too high in mineral nutrients. Peat moss from some locations are just higher in nutrients. Sometimes nutrients are actually added to some brand of peat moss. For house plants or veggies, the higher nutrition is a good thing, but not for carnivorous plants that ark kept in wetter soil. I have had seedlings overrun and killed by cyanobacteria blooms. It produces cyanotoxins and can kill seedlings. The small bags of very finely milled peat moss in hardware stores are not the best peat moss for CP. In my experience the larger the bag the better the peat moss. I buy Canadian Sphagnum Peat in 3 or 4 cubic feet bags. It is usually much coarser, is less broken down, and does not contain additives. It is raw sphagnum that is not overly milled or augmented. You know the good stuff when it has some sticks, roots and leaves in it. You may be able to leach the minerals from your peat moss by soaking in distilled water and squeezing a few times, but using a different brand of peat may be the answer. The problem is made worse by media that is too wet. If you have fungus gnats the media may be too wet. Fungus gnat larvae feed on the plant roots. So that is a problem for seedlings also.

Good Luck,
Brad
BradR, BradR, BradR liked this

I know there's a few that need a complete dry peri[…]

Nwpenthes grow tent help

What size is the grow tent?

Definitely a bladderwort. Very nice pot you have[…]

i dont have any sphagnum moss, is it essential for[…]

Cephalotus pitcher die off

I have a cephalotus that seems to have a lot of pi[…]

Just a short comment on the tent. Would Jade be[…]

When do I pot leaf pulls?

wait until the mother leaf is completely dry b[…]

Hello from the California!

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!