FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Camden
Thes little pests have popped up in the last few months and ever since they’ve been here my seedlings have been in decline! They don’t spread to other plants and the capes won’t eat them themselves. What do I do?
Attachments:
IMG_0128.jpeg
IMG_0128.jpeg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 719 times
IMG_0126.jpeg
IMG_0126.jpeg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 719 times
IMG_0125.jpeg
IMG_0125.jpeg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 719 times
By Intheswamp
Little white bugs...spider mites, aphids, mealy bugs, springtails... I'm not sure about mealy bugs as I don't know if they move around a lot. Aphids move some and springtails are all over the place. Springtails tend to populate areas where a lot of moist organic matter is experiencing decomposition...how long has it been since the pot has had the growing medium refreshed? Of course, in and of themselves, springtails usually don't cause a problem as long as they can scavenge for dead/rotting plant matter. Do the bugs move fast or slow or not at all if you disturb them? Springtails, well,...spring!!!...they jump. Aphids might move a little bit, mealy bugs don't move much at all.

From the blurry photos they kind of look like white spider mites. Have you looked *really* close for spider webs? They are pretty mobile, too.

Just some thoughts...I'm no bug expert. ;) Better photos will help! :)
By Panman
Those look like aphid sheds. They will spread like wildfire amongst your plants, so the first thing to do is isolate then infected plants. The sundews won't like it, but a good spraying with Bioadvanced 3-in-1 each week for 3 or 4 weeks should knock them out.
elaineo, Intheswamp, MikeB liked this
By ChefDean
I second Pandude, they appear to be aphid sheds.
Sundews hate chemicals, but Bioadvanced 3 in 1 is a great, and mild, treatment. They'll pout a bit, but they'll recover
By wcrosman
elaineo wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:13 pm If they're just seedlings, and the pests are aphids, you can submerge the whole lot in water for ~24 hours to drown the bugs. Aphids in my yard seem to hit VFTs the hardest, while the sundews have no problem eating them. Odd.
Worked on my sundews last spring.
elaineo liked this

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I've been intrigued […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!