FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By konkon89
tish wrote:
konkon89 wrote:
tish wrote:Yes it's a styrofoam cup. I try to find the big styrofoam pots they use in this forum but can onky find these cups. The sundew ia about 4cm across. A young plant. Also know as medium size
I see, did you grow them from seeds? If so how long did you take to get to 4cm?
Hmmm. now that you've mentioned. I don't think I keep track of the time but a rough guess would be 4 to 6 months leaving it alone without spoon feed. But even small ones, the flowers like mad. I had to trim it off as i dont need seeds and perhaps, a precaution incase it took too much energy to produce seeds. Thus, slowing down growth.
Oohh will it continue to grow any larger or for most species of sundew it will remain this size? As for the larger styrofoam cup, I think SKP carries them. Have seen them on their website: http://www.skp.com.sg
By tish
konkon89 wrote:
tish wrote:
konkon89 wrote: Hmmm. now that you've mentioned. I don't think I keep track of the time but a rough guess would be 4 to 6 months leaving it alone without spoon feed. But even small ones, the flowers like mad. I had to trim it off as i dont need seeds and perhaps, a precaution incase it took too much energy to produce seeds. Thus, slowing down growth.
Oohh will it continue to grow any larger or for most species of sundew it will remain this size? As for the larger styrofoam cup, I think SKP carries them. Have seen them on their website: http://www.skp.com.sg
Hey! Now that you've said it. Why didn't i think of it earlier. I could go take a look as there is one near my house in Compass Point. Thanks!
By konkon89
Just curious, will your sundew die after the flowers have all bloom and seeds are harvested? Or depending on the health/strength of your sundew, it will live and produce flowers again..

Especially in Singapore weather, not sure if it has an effect :D
By tish
konkon89 wrote:Just curious, will your sundew die after the flowers have all bloom and seeds are harvested? Or depending on the health/strength of your sundew, it will live and produce flowers again..

Especially in Singapore weather, not sure if it has an effect :D
Nope. They dont die after flowering by nature and the weather in singapore is fine for most drosera. However, some droseras require dormancy like the VFT due to winter or summer. Sometimes drosera die for no reason, i have a Tokaiensis and a Burmannii just die out of the blue. It was hard to tell what happen as the roots were thin normally and i can't really see if it was root rot or something else. The drosera beside the dead were doing fine.
By tish
tish wrote:I notice this trap has caught something recently and was wondering what it was as it seems a little big from the shadows. a few days later today, i see a damage on the same trap. Very curious what insect could have done that. I can't wait for the trap to reopen.

Funnel Trap
Remember this trap caught something and has damage? It finally turned black completely so I've decided to open it up to take a look what caused it....

Totally black...

When I opened it up, it was that little jumping spider that has been lurking around my pots.... (link) Poor fella...
By tish
Not a very good year for me, I've lost plants to rotting(maybe fungus gnats) and dryness....

Some were very new plants, got a nice variety from Cindy, a mod from another forum but most were gone..

A few losses not in the tags below were cupped traps and some typicals

By tish
I will be going for holidays for a week and am worried about my plants. Don't really like to keep them standing in water but looks like I dont have much of a choice there. At the same time, here's some photo for the past weeks.

I've managed to capture the Tokaiensis with 2 flowers before they close altogether. And the plant is not doing very well, I suspect the flower stalk's the last attempt for survival.

Those Darlingtonia seeds had 2 more germination, a total of 3 but one of them is at my work place table.

This first seedling finally had a decent pitcher shape :)

The second one is at my work place so no photo.

The third one is trying to anchor.

Just showing one of the Drosera Binata Marston Dragon leave with Fungus gnat.

Cephalotus, this lastest addition is stable and new pitchers are forming.

Funnel Trap has 3 new trap growing together, perhaps it's a new diversion

Flytrapcare Red mix, one late guy is circled in red. Total 10.

Flytrapcare Mix, 16 altogether.
tish liked this
By tish
I got myself a Sarr thinking it was Darlingtonia when I was on holidays! I knew something was not right but my knowledge on Sar is very limited so I took the risk as I only had 10 mins in the shop.

Quite a Decent looking one, but I have no chemistry for Sar.

I managed to trade with a friend for his D. Adelae.
When I first got it.

Comes with a strike on the exposed roots :D

Today it look like this
By tish
I have acquired 2 more plants that has recently taken into my interest. I too wish to know if they will do well in my setup. Upon a quick search in my local forum and asking around. I was able to find Pinguicula and Heliamphora, and acquire them in just a couple of days.

Pinguicula Moranensis hybrid and Heliamphora Minor

Heliamphora Minor

I've repot the ping into 4 pots. Some with flowers here.

To me, the flower seems quite ready for pollination, so I thought if I should look up on how to pollinate it. I was on youtube and came across some useful methods on pollinating the Pinngs' flowers.

2 videos I find very useful, I was going to follow the first video but found I had a tool like the 2nd video, so I follwed the 2nd video to use a curve tip tooth pick. It wasn't difficult to locate the pollens after watching the 1st video follow by 2nd. I then "cross" pollinate among the 3 flowers here.

Video 1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kf3kFhAY1A[/youtube]

Video 2
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcx9uBe2lko[/youtube]

About 24 hours later, I was thinking of pollinating them again, but there was no pollens?! Then the flower slipped out like a hat on the stalk. The stigma has turn darker and I thought the flower bud looks slightly swollen?!

Flowers slipped out upon gently pulling.

Now this is how the flower bud looks like, slightly swollen and the stigma is darker. Could this be a success? Before I pollinate, there was a small ant nest in the soil, the flower could have also already been pollinated by ants going into the flower to collect nectar.

tish, tish liked this
By EXD
tish wrote:I got myself a Sarr thinking it was Darlingtonia when I was on holidays!

That's in Hong Kong, right? I saw that and I thought it was a Darlingtonia too!!!
By tish
EXD wrote:
tish wrote:I got myself a Sarr thinking it was Darlingtonia when I was on holidays!

That's in Hong Kong, right? I saw that and I thought it was a Darlingtonia too!!!

Luckily you didn't buy it for a Darlingtonia haha. Yes got it in HK. I refer to the picture of the shop u share with me but the link is dead. I forgot the shop name. I cannot open the picture anymore and had to randomly find a shop. It was like 8.30pm and lucky this shop has some.

By Grey
This is a natural thing the stalks will do if they aren't pollinated, though it looks like it happened pretty quickly. Did the plant already have the stalks when you bought it? If so, it could be that the stalks were old (the flowers will come off quite easily as the stalk ages) and are simply dying off.
Grey liked this

I have no clue where these plants keep going!

New donation

Also, thank you Panman for donating envelopes. I'd[…]

I got both of these from Amazon. They work well. […]

Will S. rubra var. rubra stay within that size r[…]

I'm aware that VFTs secrete chitinase to "sof[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1653. I'll PM[…]

Celebrate World Carnivorous Plant Day with Flytrap[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!