FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By raycer491
Bump!
So the cuttings have been working well so far with P. gigantea. The slicing produced, especially from regions around he leaf's midrib, several large plantlets that have developed mature leaves and roots. These plantlets are double or more the size of the plantlets that occur in the middle of the leaf (these usually develop in response to puncture wounds perforations in the non-midrib tissue). I have, therefore no concern about the larger plantlets that develop from the midrib or the basal tissue. I want to know how to develop the tiny plantlets, little more than calluses with leaves, into rooted plants.
This is the leaf that developed predominantly into tiny plantlets.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/turkeypig ... ed-public/
These are similar-aged plants developed from the basal, connective, stem tissue at the base of the midrib.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/turkeypig ... ed-public/

Anyone know how? Thanks a lot!
Last edited by raycer491 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
raycer491 liked this
By bijillon
If I got a leaf pulling and it sprouted but has two growth points, can I divide them eventually. It only has a tiny root so I'll hold off for sure.

Happy Growing,

Dillon
By Grey
Brilliant update, thank you so much for keeping us apprised! Unfortunately the first link brings up a missing page for me, but the second photo is looking grand. With regards to your question, I've never had to actively do anything to get roots to develop off calluses, they tend to form them on their own eventually as long as conditions are adequate.
bijillon wrote:If I got a leaf pulling and it sprouted but has two growth points, can I divide them eventually. It only has a tiny root so I'll hold off for sure.
Definitely! It'll be less fiddly if you let them grow out a bit first.
By raycer491
Ok, links have been corrected and you should now be able to view the images.

It seems like, despite the plantlets being exposed to the peaty soil surface (what the adult is growing in), they aren't developing roots still. Can I apply rooting hormone?
By Benurmanii
raycer491 wrote:Ok, links have been corrected and you should now be able to view the images.

It seems like, despite the plantlets being exposed to the peaty soil surface (what the adult is growing in), they aren't developing roots still. Can I apply rooting hormone?
It can take a while. If the pullings are struck from a large succulent leaf, the plantlets can survive a long time without roots. They get all the water they need from the parent leaf. In general, I haven't found Pinguicula really need roots while succulent.

The light requirements for a VFT are such that ind[…]

I would think that the TDS would be different in d[…]

Hello from New England

Greetings from another New Englanda’

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

8s, keep looking on Craig's List and any local &qu[…]

Input on Neps placement

Would you folks recommend putting my plants outdoo[…]

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!