FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Wikiwakawakawee
Yeah I was reading the ingredients for some child's cough medicine, and to my surprise, I saw "Drosera" on there. I had to look up the words in Spanish that it said next to "Drosera" (Rocio del Sol) to make sure it was the actual plant haha.
By Sakaaaaa
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Yeah I was reading the ingredients for some child's cough medicine, and to my surprise, I saw "Drosera" on there. I had to look up the words in Spanish that it said next to "Drosera" (Rocio del Sol) to make sure it was the actual plant haha.
So when I have a bad cough (I get it a lot) I should eat my droseras? Alright!!!
By w03
Aww yeah, I knew I wasn't the only weirdo to do this.
So far for me:

D. adelae (mucilage) - really quite tasteless. Kinda unpleasant.

U. reniformis (a stolon that got smushed) - sort of a sphag like smell/taste to it, rather tasteless.

P. moranensis (part of leaf) - bitterish, crunchy. Almost a mild radish taste.

H. purpurascens (smushed pitcher) - rather green tasting, like kale without the smell. Has a slight hint of tea.

U. praetermissa (tuber that got smushed) - kinda like U. reniformis but with a very slight bitter aftertaste and hint of old wood. Really unpleasant.
By Grey
Sounds like fun haha. We had another member steam and stuff some Nepenthes pitchers in the past; a delicacy, apparently.

Yes, Drosera leaves have been used to treat coughs (particularly whooping cough in young children who would be sensitive to medications) for a long time, it's quite amazing really! I've also heard of Pinguicula leaf milkshakes but can't remember where it was I heard about it, and I do not think they have medicinal properties in that sense. During my phytotherapy course, I read about Drosera and was quite excited.
By Shadowtski
Grey wrote:I've also heard of Pinguicula leaf milkshakes but can't remember where it was I heard about it, and I do not think they have medicinal properties in that sense.

I vaguely recall reading about P. vulgaris leaves used to curdle milk into a type of Yogurt in one of my CP books. Here is an online reference to it.
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?Lat ... a+vulgaris

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Grey
Amazing! Thank you so much, Mike, this is fantastic. I didn't see any references to Pinguicula in my course (I kept an eye out for them), but will definitely keep this in mind for future reference. :-) It's quite remarkable how two entirely different species can have similar constituents that act in the same way, medicinally, although it's not entirely surprising. Their skin healing properties intrigue me as well.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Grey wrote:Sounds like fun haha. We had another member steam and stuff some Nepenthes pitchers in the past; a delicacy, apparently.

Yes, Drosera leaves have been used to treat coughs (particularly whooping cough in young children who would be sensitive to medications) for a long time, it's quite amazing really! I've also heard of Pinguicula leaf milkshakes but can't remember where it was I heard about it, and I do not think they have medicinal properties in that sense. During my phytotherapy course, I read about Drosera and was quite excited.
Thats right! Haha I remember reading that they put rice in the pitchers :)
By Sakaaaaa
Ok I tasted my D. Burmannii today :D
Rating: 7/10: Needs improvement
A bit sour-saltyish at first (Like your skin kinda), then a sweet hint comes out after like 20 seconds, and gets stronger for like 10 seconds and then dissipates.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!