FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I did.
So I put the tip of a dew-covered leaf D. Capensis on my tongue to see. I've never heard of them being toxic, so it seemed like it would be worth a try, and I was curious.
I thought it might taste like honeysuckles, or something else sweet. They attract stuff that likes nectar, so that makes sense, right?
Nope. Tasted like absolutely nothing. And then, five minutes later, an aftertaste like a dandelion leaf. For those who haven't eaten dandelion leaves, they taste like really angry lettuce.
Do not particularly recommend.

EDIT:
It has been about ten minutes and now the aftertaste's gone all sweet. Still don't recommend, though.
By dr_donut
Sarracenia nectar is especially sweet. However, there are reports where S. Flava has alkaloid coniine in the nectar to intoxicate the prey.
By Fishkeeper
I think if I was coughing that badly, I'd want a doctor rather than bitter plant tea. And that second paragraph sounds a bit like something out of a "how to make your child mindlessly obey you" book.

Good to know I'm not the only person who's decided to taste a sundew.
By Fishman
Haha... i cannot believe someone would make tea out of these.... although I've never tasted one, i have got a real good close up whiff of all of mine. They all have their own unique scent. Now Nepenthes, on the other hand have a sweet taste to them lol
By Sakaaaaa
Be careful when tasting your plants. I almost got poisoned by one of mine (Non CP) I sure AM going to taste burmannii once I have a lot!! I've never tasted nepenthes thouqh, how do I extract the nectar to make some juice?
By SFLguy
Sakaaaaa wrote:Be careful when tasting your plants. I almost got poisoned by one of mine (Non CP) I sure AM going to taste burmannii once I have a lot!! I've never tasted nepenthes thouqh, how do I extract the nectar to make some juice?
They drool sometimes, taste that haha
By Sakaaaaa
SFLguy wrote:
Sakaaaaa wrote:Be careful when tasting your plants. I almost got poisoned by one of mine (Non CP) I sure AM going to taste burmannii once I have a lot!! I've never tasted nepenthes thouqh, how do I extract the nectar to make some juice?
Is this serious ir a joke.
By SFLguy
Sakaaaaa wrote:
SFLguy wrote:
Is this serious ir a joke.

Not a joke lol
By Fishkeeper
I looked it up before tasting the sundew, of course. They aren't known to be toxic to anything.
Neps can cause vomiting in cats if the cat eats a significant amount of the plant, but they aren't outright toxic, and the nectar certainly isn't. Probably taste pretty good. Give it a go!
Watering my Venus Flytrap

I rarely see white deposits on pots. I read on the[…]

Water Quality

So I tested my water using a aquarium strips and w[…]

I wonder if you could mix a small amount of the […]

I would only use a water trey for peat/perlite. LF[…]

Flytrap Growth

Nice pic!

Red meat viability claims

This is a good example of a “predatory&rdquo[…]

Dan V and ITS, I followed and bookmarked the links[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

I did not think drosera needed to be water stratif[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!