FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Sbrown72
Thanks. My garden is the only safe place I have. The squirrels will dig it up anywhere else. My only options are to bring it in every day and take it back out every day or leave it out there in between my tomato plants.
By Sbrown72
The tomatoes don't provide any shade, so going to have to come up with something else.
By tommyr
Sbrown72 wrote:The tomatoes don't provide any shade, so going to have to come up with something else.

Just give it say 1 hour of Sun the first day then shade. NExt day 2 hours, etc. until it's out all day in the Sun. Google "Hardening off".
By Sbrown72
Doing that I will have to bring it back in every day. Would putting a table over it give it enough of a reprieve from the sun?
By tommyr
Sbrown72 wrote:Doing that I will have to bring it back in every day. Would putting a table over it give it enough of a reprieve from the sun?
Sure!
By Sbrown72
I'll try that then
By Sbrown72
Can I just leave it outside all the time, with the table over it for a few weeks, or should I bring it in after a few hours? I know I'm driving everyone crazy with all the questions, but I have never grew a VFT outside and I want it to thrive and grow big. Thinking I might eventually buy a King Henry. Thank you all for all the help.
By tommyr
Sbrown72 wrote:Can I just leave it outside all the time, with the table over it for a few weeks, or should I bring it in after a few hours? I know I'm driving everyone crazy with all the questions, but I have never grew a VFT outside and I want it to thrive and grow big. Thinking I might eventually buy a King Henry. Thank you all for all the help.
You HAVE to give it a little more Sun every day until it's outside all day in Sun. Then in the fall - winter it needs to go dormant.
By greenthumwithkid
Squirrels love tomatoes if you give them a chance eating or digging into your plants,I would recommend keeping your favorite house plants away from edible garden and fences,trees.they will eat even Christmas,Easter cactus.i keep my favorite plants closer to the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Sbrown72
OK. If I understand righ for an hour a day for a week then two hours a day for week and so on until it is up to around 11-12 hours. That is about what my garden gets a day.
By tommyr
Sbrown72 wrote:OK. If I understand righ for an hour a day for a week then two hours a day for week and so on until it is up to around 11-12 hours. That is about what my garden gets a day.
No. An hour day 1. Day 2, 2 hours day 3, 3 hours until it's outside all day.
By tommyr
Sbrown72 wrote:Oh OK.
Google "Hardening off". Read the info on Sunlight acclimation. It's the same as what you need to do.
By boarderlib
Sbrown72 wrote:Can I just leave it outside all the time, with the table over it for a few weeks, or should I bring it in after a few hours? I know I'm driving everyone crazy with all the questions, but I have never grew a VFT outside and I want it to thrive and grow big. Thinking I might eventually buy a King Henry. Thank you all for all the help.

There is no set one method that works for everybody. Everybody's techniques vary. My technique of moving, as I see new growth works for me, my zone, and my schedule. I let the plant tell me when it's ready to be shifted to the next location, not the clock. Tommyr uses a clock by moving it everyday regardless of what the plant is saying. That works for him and there's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.

I actually use a plastic white foldout table as a method to shade my cobras and acclimate any new outside plants. It also serves as a place to keep my plants, on top. I start off with the new plant sitting on the morning sun side under the table. Then gradually move them around under the table and then out to the top, as I see new growth. I only lost one trap using this technique on my DCXL that I got last month, and it's now in full sun and starting to spit new traps up.

Definitely just leave it outside. It'll make acclimation go quicker whichever way you decide to go.

Good luck with your plants!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Sbrown72
So I may just leave it out with the table over it. Because that or bringing in are my only options.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!