FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Sbrown72
Only had this VFT for a few weeks. I had two big traps feed them both a week apart. The other one turned black, the other one has opened up again just not all the way,not sure why? It is in an east facing window, half peat moss and perlite, rain water or distilled water is used. Was letting the soil be a little dry, but still mostly wet. Could this trap be used up?
Attachments:
IMAG0315.jpg
IMAG0315.jpg (594.28 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
By Sbrown72
The trap in ? question is the long one
By Sbrown72
It sits by the window. And I water from top until water comes out the bottom, when I bottom water I git can take ive it all in 30 minutes. I let the soil on top dry out a little, it turns light brown.
By katya_dog1
That plant is not getting enough light. For the best results, move it outside to a place getting and least 12 hours of light a day, with 4-6 hours of direct sun.

I recommend you read this guide: http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-trap-light
By Sbrown72
Can't put it outside, squirrels will dig it up. I'll try moving it to the west facing window.
By tommyr
These are not houseplants and do not do well indoors. You can maybe build a chicken wire cage to put over it outside.
By AaaaNinja
Sbrown72 wrote:Can't put it outside, squirrels will dig it up. I'll try moving it to the west facing window.
Put the plant in something like this. This is a decorative lampshade.
You can get cages where you can get home decorative items (not meant for actually keeping birds in). For squirrel-proof bar width, use a quarter, they can get through openings the size of a quarter. The lampshade I'm using has a hole at the to larger than that but I don't think squirrels at THAT desperate to get inside.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
AaaaNinja liked this
By Alex2893
Thats amazing in the total of the last year and a half iv never seen a bird go after a flytrap. or a squirrel. I see them just walk right by them like there not even there. wasps like them tho. they like to sit on the moss and suck up water
By tommyr
I've seen a bird in my trap tray but it's rare, mine are in full Sun under the south facing end of my patio deck.
By Sbrown72
My squirrels dig in all my planters. I haven't tried plants hanging from Shepard hooks yet.
By Sbrown72
OK, I'm going to have to put my VFT outside. From what I have read on here, I should only let it have for an hour a day for two weeks. My backyard gets sun from 9am to about 8pm. I have no place safe to put it other than my garden, which is fenced in. How should I shade it? It has been sitting in first east facing window then I moved it to a west one. Neither was giving it 4 or more hours of direct sun.
By AaaaNinja
Sbrown72 wrote:OK, I'm going to have to put my VFT outside. From what I have read on here, I should only let it have for an hour a day for two weeks. My backyard gets sun from 9am to about 8pm. I have no place safe to put it other than my garden, which is fenced in. How should I shade it? It has been sitting in first east facing window then I moved it to a west one. Neither was giving it 4 or more hours of direct sun.
You could always set it next to a taller plant that will break up some of the light for part of the day when the shadow moves over the flytrap.
By Sbrown72
I could try to put it by my tomato plants. And it is correct to put it out for an hour a day for two weeks then it can stay out all the time? Or should I just leave it out by the tomatoes for the two weeks, then move it to where I want to leave it?
By boarderlib
Being an inside plant that you're moving outside, I would do my best to find a spot where it gets 4 -5 hours of morning sun then speckled or shaded sun the rest of the day. When new growth starts to appear move it to where it gets an hour or two more sun a day. Then when you see another new trap coming up move it to more sun. Keep repeating until it's in full sun all day. It takes awhile to do, but you'll face far less loss that way.

A second option as long as its fairly healthy to begin with is to just chuck it in the sun and be prepared to clean a lot of dead traps off. The new growth will come out fully acclimated to the sun. This method will usually set the plant back a little further than the first, meaning it will take longer for the plant to start growing much more actively.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Drosera seeds in water?

Ok. Thank you very much, everyone!

I'd like to see how normal traps look on that plan[…]

Hey everyone, I'm starting to sell the majority of[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank. Free s[…]

Question about flytraps

They should not die, unless you do something extre[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!