FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Vampryotheuthis
Hello,

I am very new to VFTs but I do have some experiences with steam distilled water.

For my home purposes, which now includes my VFT, I use a WaterWise Steam Distiller.

http://www.waterwise.com/productcart/pc/8800.asp

It is a little pricy, but if you go through a lot of distilled water, like I do, and you care about the quality, I can recommend it. It has a Steam Rise of 4.5 inches. I have been using it for years and am most happy with it.

The question I have is when I buy "distilled water" from the grocery store, what process are they using, and if steam distillation what is the steam rise? The answer is we don't know. And let's not think about how often the distillation machine is cleaned at the production facility.

This is why a TDS meter, while expensive is a handy way of checking your distilled water product.

So to answer the OP's question, a home distiller is another option to get water for your VFT. A good distiller is not cheap and a cheap distiller is not good. But it is an alternative way.

Anyone else use a water distiller and if so, is it a WaterWise one?
By dantt99
Vampryotheuthis wrote:This is why a TDS meter, while expensive is a handy way of checking your distilled water product.
They're only like ten to fifteen dollars, which is not bad compared to the price of that distiller :lol:

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!