FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By pieguy452
I have many venus flytraps with almost all in 20 oz styrafoam cups. using the tray method is using up too much water a day. is there a more effective alternative to the tray method that waters the plants without using up as much water as the tray method?
By SnapSnapIOM
Is it to much work to water the plants or are you finding it hard to acquire the correct water ? :) ie buying distilled water ? collecting rain water ? etc
By pieguy452
well its about 80 cents a gallon. that's not much, but it starting to add up. half a gallon a day is alot. i need a better way to water while still keeping the plants healthy without using up as much water.
By SnapSnapIOM
One of the best things i bought for my plants was a RO unit :)

If you want a constant supply and eventually over time it will pay for itself
By Grey
The one thing with top watering is it can lead to rot and leaf scorching. If you want to avoid these you need to water and avoid getting the leaves too wet (or do it later in the day when the sun isn't too bright without it being too cold). You can always get a watering can with a long spout and purposfully shove it under the leaves and water this way... but it may take time to do that to every plant.
By pieguy452
So can i use one of those water filters that are in the pitchers? would that keep my water clean and reduce the amount it costs to water? something like this
Attachments:
water-filtering2.jpg
water-filtering2.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
By carnivorous1123
Grey wrote:The one thing with top watering is it can lead to rot and leaf scorching.
surely leaving the plant in a tray of water (constant water around the roots) would be worse for root rot than watering from the top occasionally?
By carnivorous1123
pieguy452 wrote:So can i use one of those water filters that are in the pitchers? would that keep my water clean and reduce the amount it costs to water? something like this
i'm not sure if they work there was a thread about it a while ago and somthing about constant filter changing?

An ro unit is built into a tap or water pipe and when you run it the water from the pipe is filtered the PPM will go up but you wont have to change the filter for a few years as the filter breaks down very slow, although i think they are initially very costly? you could try getting a water butt theyre quite cheap and mine holds 200 litres of water an i ahve never ran out of water as it just fills back up.
By pieguy452
I looked at RO filters and they are about 200-600 dollars which is almost 250 gallons of water just for the 200 dollar one. any other ways to water that don't take forever or cost as much? what about the flytrap store? they have so many plants, how do they water theirs and where do they get their water?
By Matt
pieguy452 wrote:what about the flytrap store? they have so many plants, how do they water theirs and where do they get their water?
Here in Ashland, Oregon, I'm lucky enough to have tap water and water from the nearby irrigation ditch that are both below 50ppm, so I just use water right from the tap.

Steve recently bought a new RO unit for around $200 and it's a really nice one. Maybe he'll post here with the details. If not, I can dig up the old emails and post some information.
By markus13
pieguy452 wrote:I got a report on the ppm but i have no idea what it all means. can someone help me to figure out if this is ok water for my plant? just scroll down for water quality tables.

http://www.auburnhills.org/vertical/Sit ... ey2011.pdf
This report doesn't tell you what the mg/L(PPM) of dissolved solids are in your drinking water. It only reports results for the chemicals and bacteria of concern for human health. There are many other possible disolved solids that could be present but you're water department isn't required to test for or report them.
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!