FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By xr280xr
I'm not supposed to know this but my mom ordered me a VFT for christmas, probably from http://www.californiacarnivores.com. According to my sources she had it shipped to her house instead of mine and she's planning to wait until Christmas to give it to me (in the box). I think she ordered it two days ago so it would be in the box 6 days. It should be dormant so I'm thinking staying in the box & kept cold, vs having her try to plant it, is probably its best shot. Is that too long in a box though? :-S
By xr280xr
Ya, I'm not sure how deeply dormant this plant is though. If its from California, would going to the fridge be too dramatic of a change? Also once i bring it home, I'd rather not have to keep it in the fridge. I had my wife tell her to put the box outside where it will be 39/66 F for the time being. But I can have her try to plant it if it won't survive till I get it.
By pieguy452
Personally, I think it would have the best chance making it through the week in the fridge. Although there may be somewhat of a dramatic temperature change, it shouldn't do any harm if it lasts only a few days. And keeping it inside of a cooler environment like the fridge will also help to prevent the flytrap from drying out.
pieguy452 liked this
By Matt
xr280xr wrote:Ya, I'm not sure how deeply dormant this plant is though. If its from California, would going to the fridge be too dramatic of a change?
During the summer months, at the peak of the growing season, when we have too many plants uprooted to pot all at once, we will often stick them in the fridge until we can get to them. They'll keep much better in the fridge than anywhere else kind of like produce from the grocery store. It doesn't affect them negatively at all to be put in the fridge. We've left actively growing plants in the fridge over two weeks without any problems. It would be even easier on a plant this time of year, I'd guess.
Matt liked this
By xr280xr
Thank you guys for the quick replies! I'll have her get them in the fridge and post a picture of the plant when I get it.
By xr280xr
Turns out it was three plants! S. rubra & leucophylla and a G14 rosetted. They have been in the fridge until today. I know the fly trap looks good but these are my first trumpet pitchers. Hopefully they survive till spring.
G14_Rosetted.jpg
G14_Rosetted.jpg (90.06 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
S_Leucophylla.jpg
S_Leucophylla.jpg (91.01 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
S_Rubra.jpg
S_Rubra.jpg (105.95 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
By bananaman
When my grandparents gave me a ceph, they left it in the box for about 1-2 weeks at room temperature.
It was fine.
If they are packaged well, they should survive for a long time.
From California carnivores, it should be packaged well and the plats should be fine, especially if it was in the fridge.
New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in[…]

Help with care for my VFT

You're checking all the boxes, except for the ligh[…]

Goodness, that's quite a difference! I'm pretty […]

Pest control question

Hey all. My Sarrs got hit with thrips this Spring […]

I'd like to give her some of these when they're […]

baby sundew found in mu bog pot

I just found these in my bog pot I didn't let any […]

doing research before buying a ping

I'm thinking of buying a p. gigantea but I don't k[…]

Help! My VFT is dying

So is morning sun better than afternoon sun? I hav[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!