FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Darkrai283
[01.09.14]

The female is getting on well and is now pretty fat with all the food. She measures 8.5cm (It looks like she is 9cm in the photo but she's not) from her head to the tip of her abdomen.

Record of how long it took for the male to moult inbetween each instar:
Pre-subadult ~ Subadult: 17 days
Subadult ~ Adult: 22 days

Pics:

ImageUntitled by darkrai283, on Flickr
Darkrai283 liked this
By tish
Wow! Amazing hobby you have there! Sorry to heard about the male that died. The red eyed one you said night eyes is beautiful!

I seem some pretty cool mantis myself but not as cool as yours! I had taken a few pictures during my macro active days, not sure if u mind if i share here, so I wont post any yet.

one of the coolest mantis I've seen and caught personally was the Mantis Shrimp :)
tish liked this
By Darkrai283
tish wrote:Wow! Amazing hobby you have there! Sorry to heard about the male that died. The red eyed one you said night eyes is beautiful!

I seem some pretty cool mantis myself but not as cool as yours! I had taken a few pictures during my macro active days, not sure if u mind if i share here, so I wont post any yet.

one of the coolest mantis I've seen and caught personally was the Mantis Shrimp :)
Thanks. :)

There should be some pretty interesting species in Singapore. ;) and sure, I won't mind you posting your photos on here.
By bvalente
This is a very interesting hobby, I would have never thought about this! Really awesome looking mantis! I have seen a few green ones (I am not sure the kind so I apologize for being vague) and it was probably about 4 inches across. It seemed pretty big, I do not know much about them. I have heard that if you see one in the wild, it is supposed to bring you good luck!
bvalente liked this
By SundewWolf
I was driving down the highway this weekend and did a u-turn when I saw a mantis on the road lol. It was a female Chinese Mantis and she ended up laying eggs on a branch before I released it. I went to the forest and wedged the stick w/ egg case into a tree covered with vines so it would be sturdy as possibly.

I wish I had room for a family of mantids but I already had too many plants lol.
Attachments:
DSCN3369.JPG
DSCN3369.JPG (489.29 KiB) Viewed 6999 times
SundewWolf liked this
By Darkrai283
bvalente wrote:This is a very interesting hobby, I would have never thought about this! Really awesome looking mantis! I have seen a few green ones (I am not sure the kind so I apologize for being vague) and it was probably about 4 inches across. It seemed pretty big, I do not know much about them. I have heard that if you see one in the wild, it is supposed to bring you good luck!
SundewWolf wrote:I was driving down the highway this weekend and did a u-turn when I saw a mantis on the road lol. It was a female Chinese Mantis and she ended up laying eggs on a branch before I released it. I went to the forest and wedged the stick w/ egg case into a tree covered with vines so it would be sturdy as possibly.

I wish I had room for a family of mantids but I already had too many plants lol.
Thanks you two. :)
bvalente, the ones that are around 4" in the US are the naturalised Tenodera sinensis (Chinese Mantis). The real US native mantids rarely get over 3". It should be the one in SundewWolf's photo. ;)

[10.09.14]

A member on the UK mantis forum offered me a male as a breeding loan and oh my, wasn't a he a feisty one! Connected in less than 5 mins after I first opened the box.

Mating log:
1st: 26-29days since her adult moult (roughly 4 weeks)

Pics:
ImageIMG_9937 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9940 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9947 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9949 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9948 by darkrai283, on Flickr
Last edited by Darkrai283 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Darkrai283
[15.09.14]

I put the female in the large aquarium with sticks as she looked like she was going to lay overnight. I woke up in the morning at 0600 to see this. 5 days since she was mated.

Ootheca log:
Ooth no.1: 31-34 days since her adult moult. (roughly 5 weeks)

Pics:
Darkrai283 liked this
By Darkrai283
[16.09.14]

The ooth had already hardened up so I removed it... While I was removing it, the male somehow managed to escape and sprint onto the female who was sitting on my desk lol. So that's mating session no.2.

Mating log:
1st: 26-29 days since her adult moult. (roughly 4 weeks)
2nd: 32-35 days since her adult moult. (roughly 5 weeks)

Pics:
Darkrai283, Darkrai283 liked this
By Grey
Darkrai283 wrote:[16.09.14]The ooth had already hardened up so I removed it... While I was removing it, the male somehow managed to escape and sprint onto the female who was sitting on my desk lol. So that's mating session no.2.
This made me chuckle. Love that male's tenacity and determination!
Grey liked this

Celebrate World Carnivorous Plant Day with Flytrap[…]

Cold temperate Pinguicula

Cold temperate Pings IMO simply don't get enough l[…]

Pots and Saucers Haul

Today my favorite neighbor (an older gentleman who[…]

SASE is in my possession.

SASE has been received, all is well with the world[…]

Cactus Care

I think they look nice in the pot they are in for[…]

Oh yeah I forgot to post a couple things I was loo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!