FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Kevonicus
I've been cruising this forum for quiet some time and surprised I don't see more drosophyllum lusitanicum threads! I love these plants, how are yours doing?

I'm a first year grower and I've already almost lost my dewy pine twice! First was when I moved "dewy" in the greenhouse soon after transplanting (late summer). After watering one day, the new growth tips starting turning black. I relocated the plant outside and cut back on my watering believing this was due to rot.The plant rebounded to my surprise, and caught a bounty of insects in the fall.

Few weeks later I was forgetful on one of our first "freezes" and left dewy outside in subfreezing temps and high winds. The leaves wilted from being completely frozen and stopped producing dew. I was pretty bummed but having been reading that these plants can take temps as low as 20F, I didn't give up on it. I relocated dewy once again into the greenhouse where I "overwinter" my neps. My dewy pine rebounded once again and put out some seriously fast growth! I was lucky enough to witness dewy catching hundreds of fruit flies on one warm winter day, quite the spectacle to see.

Here's some pics of my dewy pine from when I first transplanted to now. I'm happy to see it thriving after all the setbacks, and most of all, being one of the best insect catchers! :mrgreen:

August 2013

October 2013

January 2014
Kevonicus liked this
By SEWinans
Your plant looks amazing! I have only ever read about dewy pines. Does it really smell sweet? :)

Nice growing!
By Kevonicus
SEWinans wrote:Your plant looks amazing! I have only ever read about dewy pines. Does it really smell sweet? :)

Nice growing!

Thanks! Out of all the CP's I've been growing this one has been the trickiest to get into a watering schedule. The best part, besides seeing hundreds on fruit flies struggling to their fate,is how sweet it smells! Just like honey. :D

I was skeptical of buying a seedling from california carnivores and repotting(comes in a peat pot) but it adjusted very well.
Kevonicus liked this
By Arizona Flytrap
Your plant is looking good. They sure can be tricky in getting them going. I have two I'm trying to get going now. I grow mine in Arizona and have never hurt them by over watering. In summer they sit in a couple inches of water. Even now the tray in the bottom has water. My plants flower like no tomorrow and I get a ton of seeds.
Good growing
Jason
By Kevonicus
Arizona Flytrap wrote:Your plant is looking good. They sure can be tricky in getting them going. I have two I'm trying to get going now. I grow mine in Arizona and have never hurt them by over watering. In summer they sit in a couple inches of water. Even now the tray in the bottom has water. My plants flower like no tomorrow and I get a ton of seeds.
Good growing
Jason
I hope to get some flowers in the spring so I can start collecting seed! Have you ever been able to keep a mature plant alive for more then a year or two? I've heard that the inability to successfully repot an established plant leads to its demise at a certain point. Not sure how long that is though :(
By Arizona Flytrap
The oldest plant I had was over three years. Sadly I allowed the pot to overheat. As for transplanting I transplanted one I had and it did fine. Again, I messed up by overheating the pot. These guys will not tolerate hot roots. I recommend using no smaller than a 12 inch terra cotta pot. That way it will be able to spend its life in there. These things have a huge root system so if you have room for a bigger pot more power to you!
By Kevonicus
Thanks for the heads up! I was hoping my 10" pot would be okay but after I collect seed I might try and risk repotting into a larger pot :)
By Kevonicus
Wahter wrote:Very nice!

What type of media do you have your Dewy Pines growing in? I have some seeds that I will plant in the spring.

I'm using a mix of Peat:perlite:silica:vermiculite:lava rock. It's mostly just large lava rock as the top dressing to keep all the perlite from floating up. I'd imagine though you'd want to use a peatier mix for seedlings. I got my plant through california carnivores which arrived in a 4" peat pot that i just transplanted to a large terracotta pot. I'd imagine to save space with seedlings this approach would work well!

Here's an up to date pic, just keeps getting bigger!
By Robster_24
those are really cool and its amazing that they are not related to drosera at all! i mean it looks like drosera filliformis or somthing? i could get in to these... and i see you guys growing these out doors, do they need high humidity like drosera?
By Arizona Flytrap
Nope. I also have drosera outside in Arizona and new dew issues. Main important item is light followed by light then a little more.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!