FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Dionae
Matt wrote:
Shes Crofty wrote:I know there are a lot of the same users both here and there, but in my opinion, FTC has the humbler crew altogether.
That's been my assessment of Terra as well. I do go over there from time to time, but the general attitude of the members here is friendlier and humbler in my opinion.
+1
Dionae liked this
By Shes Crofty
I've got maggots in me pitchers!

Was taking some photos and noticed this horrible smell coming from Doreens Colossus OP; I pulled back the lid to take a peek, and there's about 5 decent sized maggots squirming around in there. COOL/EWW.

DIONAEA! Still interested in this guy?
Dionae wrote:Theyre all beautiful but wow...your S purp is extra beautiful. I'd love to trade a div with you next season.
Amazing!
I purchased it as a purp. ven. with another purp. ven. on the same day from the CP grower that distributes to all our nurseries around here. Wanted to show you some photos of it in comparison to the other purp. ven. and regular purps from Lowes... I'm sure you can guess which it is:

with other purp. ven.
Shes Crofty liked this
By Darkrai283
Shes Crofty wrote:I've got maggots in me pitchers!

Was taking some photos and noticed this horrible smell coming from Doreens Colossus OP; I pulled back the lid to take a peek, and there's about 5 decent sized maggots squirming around in there. COOL/EWW.
I love it when that happens. It just means extra food for CPs which collect water in their pitchers. The most recent time that happend was in February or March when I was cutting off last year's dead pitchers off my darlingtonia and I found 2 fully grown maggots (one looked like a greenbot maggot and the other one looked like a flesh fly maggot) in one of them feeding off the rotting corpses of wasps and many other dead 'stuff' in there. :)
Darkrai283 liked this
By Shes Crofty
Darkrai283 wrote:
Shes Crofty wrote:I've got maggots in me pitchers!

I love it when that happens. It just means extra food for CPs which collect water in their pitchers. The most recent time that happend was in February or March when I was cutting off last year's dead pitchers off my darlingtonia and I found 2 fully grown maggots (one looked like a greenbot maggot and the other one looked like a flesh fly maggot) in one of them feeding off the rotting corpses of wasps and many other dead 'stuff' in there. :)

I replied to this, but I must have not hit enter the first time and closed out the window. lol, well I think I typed something like this:

I'm always cutting the dead pitchers of and then slicing them open to see whats inside, but not once have I ever seen maggots in there. They were very lively and and about an inch long, so they must be eating really well! BUT SOON THEY SHALL BE EATEN!

How do you determine species of maggot??? I'm interested..
By dantt99
Nice pics. I'm the same, school takes up too much time, so I'm better about getting online during the summer. My plants are looking pretty good too, not quite as good as these though... :P
dantt99 liked this
By Shes Crofty
Some stuff popped open..

Sarracenia:

(leuco. x oreo.) x purp. ssp. purp.

Catesbaei

'Hank'

Judith Hindle

Redman x flava 'Chocolate Top'

rosea

rubra gulfensis x purpurea

Unknown hybrid from Courting Frogs

Another unknown purp hyrbid from Courting Frogs; My fiance calls it Snuffleupagus, and though I care for all the plants, this particular one is "his". :lol:
Last edited by Shes Crofty on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shes Crofty liked this
By Shes Crofty
Nepenthes

veitchii x eymae (HL) rooted cutting from a friend, almost done with it's first pitcher for me.

'Whisper' (veitchii x (maxima x veitchii)) x (eymae x veitchii) Older pitcher coloring up nicely
Nectar under lid
Peristome
Newest in development :)

truncata 'Pasian' intermediate
newest pitcher, through the brush

Utricularia

sandersonii (blue form) I just love how everything is growing in this pot!

livida
WHEN WILL IT END??

Needs identifying! I bought a little pot of sandersonni JUST because this one hitchhiker was in there.
Shes Crofty liked this
By Tony C
The unknown is U. subulata, you may come to regret buying that one. :lol: Love the Redman x Chocolate Top, I picked up a few of that cross as well.
Tony C liked this
By Daniel_G
Amazing plants Crofty!

On the subject of maggots, I've had them before too, i have also introduced mealworms into pitchers which are almost full, they do a good job of breaking things down, just like maggots :D
Daniel_G liked this
By Shes Crofty
Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments everyone!

Steve - thank you so much! I upgraded to a better camera a while ago and it's a lot more fun using a dslr. It's incredibly nice to be able to manually focus!!

Grey - I cannot get enough of the darn things.. they are as beautiful and addicting as orchids, minus the room and patience orchids require from me :lol:

Daniel_G - Thanks for the info! Does this also help keep the pitchers from rotting? My biggest pitchers of the season are pretty much rotted off thanks to the crazy amount of flies here. They fill to the top within a day of being open!

Tony - I think I might be regretting it now :lol: I went outside the other day to find a bunch of those flowers in most of my outdoor plants pots. Luckily, I kind of like when utrics and dews hitchhike, I like the natural feel it gives to any one pot of plants. BTW I've got photos for you! Exuse the lazy looking potting jobs.

Here's the flavas:

coos bay giants:

Jerry cobra, plan on putting this out in our front yard:

Jerry cobra is beginning on a stalk, exciting!

Group shot! Epic rotting pitcher there..

I plan on potting the coos bay giants in their own pot like the black pot of cobras above, let them divide and conquer.
By Darkrai283
Great Darlingtonias! I haven't had a single cmplete pitcher this year so far. They all get eaten up by vine weevils. I'm trying my best to defeat them by spraying my sarrs and darlingtonias regularly with systematic insecticide and by going out everynight with a torch for five minutes picking off as many vine weevils as I can off the walls and sarr pitchers.

Its hard work, but its rewarding. :D
Darkrai283 liked this
Hello My New Friends!

Hiểu về bồn cầu treo tường? Tìm hiểu về đặ[…]

What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or the[…]

Oxygen Rot/Eating Itself

You won’t be able to save the trap, but the […]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

An assortment of sundews.

Noob with questions

this is the best 10min video for new grows i have […]

Your flytrap will be fine. Continue to give proper[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , We found a solution to add it to o[…]

Leafs with no traps

Welcome to the forum. How about a pic of your flyt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!