FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Shes Crofty
Thank you Darkrai and I'm so sorry to hear! I would be super frustrated! I hope you get those suckers so you can finally start enjoying yours this season! It's not hard for me over here, I really have my weather to thank for how easy it is. Lots of cold weather, bright sun, and constant rain for those picky roots of theirs.

I didn't want to make a thread about it, but am pretty curious if anyone here is attending the Sarracenia Northwest open house this year? I'll be going opening day sat. July 14th if anyone wants to say hi :) This is my first year attending, I'm pretty excited to get out and take some photos and buy some plants. I haven't been to Oregon before so we are heading up Friday night and will probably stay somewhere in Portland over the weekend, not sure where yet; any Oregonians know of any good spots to eat or any cool nature spots in the surrounding areas?
Last edited by Shes Crofty on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Shes Crofty
Went to a Sarracenia Northwest open house this past weekend on Saturday. Was really fun! There were a few terraforums members there but I was so preoccupied with purchasing and photographing that I wasn't very social.

Here's some of the photos from the nursery:

By Shes Crofty
What I picked up while there:

Colorado Giant

S. moorei, funky flower

S. leuco x minor

S. flava var rubricorpora

S. exornata

S. flava var autropurpurea

fiance rrreaaly wanted this pot of S. purp ssp purp; has loads of little sarracenia seedlings and hitch hiker dews all over.

heterodoxa x minor

Finally!!! highland truncata

poi dog

Some "old stuff" that has popped and so I share :) :

S. Doreen's Colossus OP, this thing is an oddball

Complex hybrid from Courting Frogs

Newest N. Red Leopard pitcher, TonyT, I still owe you darlingtonia for this!!!!!!

Newest N. robcantleyi pitcher, missed the flared peristome while in Oregon :(

Newest N. whisper pitcher, (missed the opening of this one too, I love seeing them when they are all green :D)

Wimpy N. tviking x truncata (compared to Dionaea's from the same grower!)

Maroon Monster flower

Can't remember which these are from
Last edited by Shes Crofty on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shes Crofty liked this
By Dionae
Oh snap! i posted before I saw your haul...wow! Thats why i'm kind of glad I cant go to these because i'd break myself quick! You're right...we do have similar tastes because I wouldve bought the same sarrs as you...especially the atropurpurea. Been wanting one of those for a while.

Nice nepenthes too. The N whisper is my fav. If you can ever take cuttings i'd def be interested in a trade. The VxT looks fine. I have 2 and I think Exo must have just given one steroids before he sent it because its been growing very fast compared to the other one. I have one thats about the size of the one in your pic. I'll get you some pics up:).
Dionae liked this
By Shes Crofty
Dionae wrote:Oh snap! i posted before I saw your haul...wow! Thats why i'm kind of glad I cant go to these because i'd break myself quick! You're right...we do have similar tastes because I wouldve bought the same sarrs as you...especially the atropurpurea. Been wanting one of those for a while.

Nice nepenthes too. The N whisper is my fav. If you can ever take cuttings i'd def be interested in a trade. The VxT looks fine. I have 2 and I think Exo must have just given one steroids before he sent it because its been growing very fast compared to the other one. I have one thats about the size of the one in your pic. I'll get you some pics up:).
:lol: yeahh.. luckily I've been planning for it since last year, so I had time to save up. You totally would have loved it I bet, flavas and purpurea everywhere! I'll let you know when that atro divides! :)

& definitely about the Whisper! I don't plan on getting a larger greenhouse for a while, so I do cut them back often, I will totally let you know when this one needs it!

good to know, thanks :) I'll be looking out for those photos!
Shes Crofty liked this
By plantman1001
OMG Shes Crofty, I think just going to your own backyard would be overwhelming !
You have some REALLY nice plants ! :P
thanks for sharing the pictures !

I was going to ask too, if you have any cuttings of N. whisper and N. robcantleyi
let me know too !
But,Dionae asked first for the whisper. :lol:
plantman1001 liked this
By Shes Crofty
plantman1001 wrote:OMG Shes Crofty, I think just going to your own backyard would be overwhelming !
You have some REALLY nice plants ! :P
thanks for sharing the pictures !

I was going to ask too, if you have any cuttings of N. whisper and N. robcantleyi
let me know too !
But,Dionae asked first for the whisper. :lol:

Oh man, thank you so much for the kind comments, and thank you for viewing them, I'm glad you enjoyed!

robcantleyi is a sloow grower for me and it's it's still quite small, but I will let you know ;)

I don't plan on getting a large greenhouse for a long while, so I'll have to cut these down sometime, after summer I'm sure they'll be uncontrollable.
By Dionae
Here are my 2 viking x truncata. They were both the same size when I received them :) .
Attachments:
DSCF8040.JPG
DSCF8040.JPG (59.62 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
DSCF8041.JPG
DSCF8041.JPG (50.8 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
DSCF8042.JPG
DSCF8042.JPG (45.35 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
DSCF8045.JPG
DSCF8045.JPG (42.8 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
DSCF8046.JPG
DSCF8046.JPG (44.73 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
Dionae liked this
By Shes Crofty
Wanted to share a couple photos of a pretty sweet catch..

I walked out to my plants today and noticed a mud dauber halfway in a flytrap, struggling to get out. Being the sucker that I am, I cut the trap, and put the big guy in a jar, hoping it would wriggle it's way out, or the trap would start to loosen it's grip. they sure are cute, I love their atennae :3
dauber in jar
dauber in jar
dauber.JPG (22.08 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
It was basically walking around with a cut trap on it's abdomen, was kinda funny. After keeping it in a jar for a couple of hours, I noticed the trap was not coming off, so I carefully opened the jar and used some small scissors as tongs to grip the trap as the wasp held onto the side of the jar, and pop, off the trap came. I quickly put the lid back over the jar, went outside, and placed the jar on the ground without the lid, and RAN like I'd just lit a big firework.

I bet most of you think I'm NUTS, haha. I just have a hard time seeing ANYTHING suffer.. except for flies and mosquitoes :D

What is that audacious, bold, brassy, brazen, chee[…]

Water Quality

Uh, why not save the rain barrel for...rain wate[…]

What the f-

Ah, I didn't know pesticide was involved. Bayer b[…]

Do these look like spider mites eggs?

For the last couple of weeks I have been battling […]

WTB Drosera...

I have binatas var multifida, extrema, dichotoma &[…]

Noob with questions

Always look for new growth coming from the center.[…]

see here http://pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pingu[…]

look here, good idea for ping culture http://pingu[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!