FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Dionae
I'm not really big on animals but for some reason I love these lil things. I have 13 chicks under 5 weeks old. 3 buff orpingtons, 4 red sex links and 6 silkies. All from TSC so not showbird quality but I like them. I eventually want to try hatching eggs.

Anyone else have chickens?

Dionae, Dionae liked this
By jwbates26
lol I think you should try ducklings...I have a friend that buys chickens every year. He eats a few when they get older loses a few to the dogs and coyotes. He keeps them for the eggs. I can't believe how fast they grow.
jwbates26 liked this
By Matt
When I was a kid, I had a great pet chicken named Betty. Man, I loved that chicken. I held her and played with her all the time from when she was just hatched, so she was really comfortable around people.

That's a good looking chick you have there :)
Matt liked this
By Dionae
I do not like ducks! Ive yet to find one I get along with. I guess ive been unfortunate enough to be around the meanest ones alive lol.

I doubt if I could kill a chicken(silly huh). I'm just keeping them for pets and eggs. Id hate to have to shoot someones dog for eating my chicks...but if its my chicks or the dog...

These things are like lil dogs. They love me but hate everyone else in the house haha. Probably cus I'm the food man.
By Dionae
Thanks Matt. Ive had these chickens named and renamed by several different kids. I'm trying not to get to attached just in case theyre a bunch of roosters I'll have to give away.
By Matt
Dionae wrote:I'm trying not to get to attached just in case theyre a bunch of roosters I'll have to give away.
I didn't want to make this thread too sad, but I was incredibly attached to my chicken, Betty. One night I forgot to lock her coop and a raccoon got her. I cried for a week straight, I think, so I know how hard it is to part with animals that you get attached to. Best not to get attached if there is a chance that they might have to go.
Matt liked this
By jwbates26
I've had the complete opposite experience with chickens. My grandma had chickens all the time and I couldn't get around them without them pecking me or the roasters chasing me but the ducks always loved me. Probably because I feed them...must be the key. Now geese. I hate.
Dionae wrote:They love me but hate everyone else in the house haha.
I bet everyone will be happy once they're out of the house. They tend to get a little smelly.
jwbates26 liked this
By Ambanja
Chickens are fantastic! I'm on my second batch and have 6 layers in a chicken tractor I move around the yard.
Ambanja liked this
By Dionae
Matt-ive been so worried since putting the bigger birds outside. I woke up at 4 in the morning just to check on them a few days ago. I have them about 20 ft from my dog(shes ina pen) and I'm hoping that discourages wildlife long enough to get some 'lectric fencing up.

Jason-roosters will test you. My grandma also had a really mean rooster. I was afraid to go outside at her house. Ive been reading up on it and it seems you have to treat them like youre the head rooster. Show them who is boss, so to speak. I'm just going to give away any aggressive roos I have. I have a friend that wouldnt hesitate to make fresh chicken soup lol.

Sexing isnt 100% thing when theyre young. For example, all of my chickens, besides the silkies, were bought as pullets or baby hens but its well known you will get cockerels(baby roosters) mixed in with the hens cus sexing isnt exact without dna testing feathers, as I understand it.

Your vid isnt showing up for me but I'll youtube search it. Thanks!

Ambanja-Mine are also in a tractor...but mine doesnt have wheels yet lol. Still have to finish my 1st coop.

What kind of chickens do you have?
By Matt
Dionae wrote:Matt-ive been so worried since putting the bigger birds outside. I woke up at 4 in the morning just to check on them a few days ago. I have them about 20 ft from my dog(shes ina pen) and I'm hoping that discourages wildlife long enough to get some 'lectric fencing up.
I'm sure the dog will help discourage most, if not all, potential predators. At least until they figure out that the dog is penned. Raccoons are pretty dang smart!
By Dionae
Smart and fearless too. Ive had them walk 2 ft in front of me, stop and look at me like "What!?"

My GF says theres one in the warehouse where she works that theyve been feeding and now it runs up to ppl like a pet.
Dionae liked this
By Grey
Wonderful photos! We, ourselves, don't keep chickens but our next door neighbors on one side do! They are so much fun to watch and we'll quite happily sit there listening to them "chatter". The neighbors actually have two staffies that run loose in the back garden sometimes while the chickens are out. The two species don't bother each other, their dogs are exceptional. Our cal-de-sac (and encompassing road) is full of cats and we've not seen nor heard any commotion because of it. We think the hens are rescues because they started with bare bottoms but have rapidly filled in and filled out.

My pastor also keeps chickens, they lay green eggs... just the shell... not the innerds.

I'd love the opportunity to keep chickens, raising from babies, maybe in the future... one day. :lol:
Grey liked this
By Dionae
My cat is afraid of the chicks or he just doesnt know what to think about them. I definitely wouldnt leave him alone with them lol. My dog would most definitely make a snack of one. I can tell by how she stares at them licking her chops.

Baby chicks are fun. Just remember they aren't babies long. My oldest are already teenagers lol. I'll get some pics a lil later.

So I got myself two different N. ventricosa 'Porce[…]

Updated pictures I took today, it's been ~6-7 mont[…]

I have no clue where these plants keep going!

New donation

Also, thank you Panman for donating envelopes. I'd[…]

I got both of these from Amazon. They work well. […]

Will S. rubra var. rubra stay within that size r[…]

I'm aware that VFTs secrete chitinase to "sof[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!