FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
On friday i put about some 130 seeds of crimson-eyed-rose-mallow/ hibiscus moscheutos, and they germinated in just a day, from what i have read about this plant, their process to germinate because of their hard coat is 1 year.

So my point is, instead of using 10% bleach solution, or for those who don't have available bleach, or don't know how to make 10% bleach, here's a way to do scarification for seeds and is extremely easy.

I have not try this for CP seeds, but i will try it. For those who are curious, you might want to try it it for seeds that usually take long to break their coats, such as sarracenias, and maybe VFT seeds), and i don't see any cons of doing it but the only concern that you might cook the seeds if not careful.

Process:
Consist of collecting rain/distilled water or whatever water you use for your CP's, and filling a small jar or whatever container that you can close. I placed the water in the microwave with the cap on for 2minutes, then waited for a few minutes until the water was just hot that i was able to hold the jar with my hands, i did not measure the degrees or anything of that sort, but i would say somewhere around 95F-105F is good( i will try this more acurate). When i took out of the microwave, i took off the cap. After the about, if not mistaken some 15 minutes, i threw the seeds in, and then i closed the container with the cap, i shaked the jar just slow because the seeds floated, and it waited 8 hours( i reccomend that you do this before going to bed, there you have your 8 hours, and therefore you won't be able to bother the seeds that much)
and that's about it.

One other thing to mentioned is that the temp of my room was at 75F during the night and morning, so the jar was almost at that temperature keeping the heat, that means if trying this, i reccomend you do this in a room were temps stay in the 73-80F range.

Hope this helps! :)

I can't wait to try it on some sarra seeds, and vft seeds to see the results, anyone doing this, post here please, or let me know how it goes! :)
jht-union, jht-union liked this
By jht-union
You are very welcome harris,

I bet this could work with just any seed, i suggest you have a thermomether right next to you thought, just to make sure! :)

Good luck, and let me know how it goes! :)
Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

You can pay shipping from Lowes and still get it f[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not see[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!