FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By entropy81
Wow. That's amazing. I almost can't believe it's sphagnum, it almost looks like coral polyps on a rock. Nothing but the capitulums are showing. How long do you flood it for?
What is that book called? Is it a carnivorous plant book?
Nah it's a moss book. I bought it on amazon for $15.

http://www.amazon.com/Common-Mosses-Nor ... palachians

Now this is crazy. Back when I bought that book I found a book that was entirely focused on sphagnum, supposed to be the definitive field guide. However at the time it was going for over $200! So I didn't buy it. There's still someone asking over $100 but it looks like there's people selling it for $25 now. I may have to buy this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Sphagnum-Field-Gu ... ield+guide
entropy81, entropy81 liked this
By KissMegan
This is what the sphagnum is in we lined it with news paper and then put a layer of peat moss.
We used bamboo sticks to raise the actual potted sphagnum off the steel opened plate that the water gets poured into.
Now we just fluctuate water levels.
Also the sphagnum is from north Carolina biological or something
By katya_dog1
:shock: My word, that is fantastic! Very healthy-looking culture, and obviously the binata likes it too!
katya_dog1 liked this
By katya_dog1
entropy81 wrote:
Now this is crazy. Back when I bought that book I found a book that was entirely focused on sphagnum, supposed to be the definitive field guide. However at the time it was going for over $200! So I didn't buy it. There's still someone asking over $100 but it looks like there's people selling it for $25 now. I may have to buy this one.
Strange considering it is only 32 pages long.
By entropy81
Yeah I guess I'll find out if it's worth it I actually bought it.

I think I have a screencap of a page or two's worth. Not sure it came from that book but I think it did. It should actually have a step-by-step key to identifying sphagnum species. I'll know in a couple weeks.
By KissMegan
tish wrote:OMG. What a big chunk of sphagnum moss! I would like to dive in haha

Its beautiful! What do you use it for? Top layers for plants?
Thanks tish! We really don't use it for anything we just have it growing. We've planted d. Spatulatas and some terrestrial utrics in it but it's really just there because it's part of the CP world and it's beautiful :) it's very very overgrown now as you can tell flowing over the side haha
By KissMegan
You could always start small and do it yourself. If you don't mind what state do you live in? It looks elaborate but if you only have a small amount of sphagnum they'd be fine with even one flooding a day. Before we had the fluctuation system we would just have them flooded all weekend and drain them for the week.
By katya_dog1
He lives in Singapore, I believe.
By tish
To buy land for building starts from a few million usd. So commonly we stay in affordable high rise apartment. Which is only 90msq. Its small but managable. No place for green house. My apartment is on the 5th story. Just need to sacrifice some space for indoor shelf installed with lights ;)

some of the high rise building we live in
http://applecideraspella.files.wordpres ... estate.jpg

A floor plan
http://rs217.pbsrc.com/albums/cc44/garu ... pg~320x480
Last edited by tish on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tish
KissMegan wrote:Oh wow haha I had no idea. If you were near I could've sent you a small chunk of sphagnum to start you off!
Thank you! You are very nice. I had some from local cp growers locally. I am cultivating a small box of them right now. Misting every 2 days. Hope they will grow vigorously.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!