FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By New Planter
hi, i am quite lost & confused when i saw my trap is opened after 8hrs when it trapped a small spider in it. cos' from what i read up from sites, i know that once the traps trapped an insect inside, they will be closed at least 1-1wk plus before re-open. however, i m really surprised to see my VFT trap is opened just a few hrs later. hope to get some solutions & find out why it happened this way... thk u.
By Adam
The spider might have died shorltly after the initial close of the trap. If the hairs on the inside of the trap do not continue to be stimulated by a struggling insect, it will open up because of a false positive that it received.
By Eric
I think either the spider died or the plant just digsted it really fast,but I doubt it could digest that fast!
Or maybe the trap didn't get the spider and the spider just crawled out before the trap sealed.
By New Planter
hmmm...its not like both of you said. The trap is opened a few hrs after it trapped the small spider, but the spider is still moving about, instead of being digested by the plant... and worst of all, the spider spinned its web around VFT. :?
By Eric
I think maybe the spider was too small and the venus flytrap didn't think it was worth digesting so it let it go.
The spider web won't do any harm to your flytrap and maybe someday the spider will fall into the trap and finally get eaten.
By WORMSS
yeah, but tis a case of, the web will be catching insects that would potentially go into the traps.

kinda like having a fishing pole in the water but then a giant net around it so no fish can get to it...
By Adam
Don't worry about that. A spider that small will be catching things that are too small for the traps anyway.. I leave spiders to do their thing around the flytraps. Eventually they fall to the folly of their ways! :D
By kevinqwe
there is one trap in mine that wont open. i was just playin around with it and it closed so far it hasnt opened for almost 4 days?? shouldnt it have opened when it recieved the false postive feeling
By kevinqwe
hope these pic r good
Attachments:
php4AGr7jPM.jpg
php4AGr7jPM.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 6345 times
phpzMOaJfPM.jpg
phpzMOaJfPM.jpg (28.8 KiB) Viewed 6353 times
this is the one not opening
this is the one not opening
php5eU71BPM.jpg (12.31 KiB) Viewed 6353 times
Last edited by kevinqwe on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!