FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Hayden
A picture is quite necessary for this, but I would suggest its all mineral build up on the pot. Dont rely on this, as I dont know how bad the stuff is. It could be fungus.

What water have you been using?

Hayden
By Veronis
Also what soil mix, and what kind of pot are you using (is it clay/plastic?) These are the three major factors (my question and fish30's) that play in if it is mineral buildup.
By eamsch
i have clay pots, i use distilled water and i use peat moss. also, how do i add a pic to show u? when i put on the pic it says the file is too big. and i also dont know how to put on a profile pic...
By Hayden
Well first off, I know you shouldnt be using clay pots (Get someone else to explain why as im not too sure.)

If you repot your plant and add a bit of perlite that should make the water move quicker.

I use photobucket.com to help keep as much memory for the forum as possible. Upload the image code to here. Photobucket is also useful as you can edit and resize pictures, and theyre uploadable from most samsung mobile phones!
By Andrew
fish30 wrote:Well first off, I know you shouldnt be using clay pots (Get someone else to explain why as im not too sure.)

If you repot your plant and add a bit of perlite that should make the water move quicker.

I use photobucket.com to help keep as much memory for the forum as possible. Upload the image code to here. Photobucket is also useful as you can edit and resize pictures, and theyre uploadable from most samsung mobile phones!
There is a whole thread on clay pots. Here is the link:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/clay-pots-t4880.html
By Andrew
Oh! Its on the outside! As long as its not on the inside, it shouldn't affect your plants. But, after awhile of watering in the clay pots, the minerals from the clay could seep into the potting mixture, thus killing your plants. if you read the thread that I posted a link to, it will tell you how to prevent this. (Glazing)
By Hayden

Theres the picture - Copy your image code in (Placed to the left).

By the looks of things, it looks better just to buy a cheap plastic pot and make your plant happy :)
By Andrew
fish30 wrote: By the looks of things, it looks better just to buy a cheap plastic pot and make your plant happy :)
That would be far more easier then what I suggested :P Good luck with your fly traps!
By eamsch
whoops... sorry i thought you meant if it's indoors or outdoors. yes, the white stuff is on the outside of the pot.
By roey benjamin marcus
That looks like a ceramic pot, your plants shouldn't be in that. BTW, the white stuff is normal. I think it's water that dried or a reaction from soil. Not sure.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!