FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By audreytwo
Last week I went looking for silica sand, and found what I thought was that at an auto body shop. I mixed about a 60:40 mix of the sand and peat together and repotted all my VFT's into that. I did a bit of research on the sand, and turns out it's completely void of silica. I called the company to inquire about what's in it, and they sent me an MSDS sheet. Looks like it's completely inert and non-soluble, so it should be safe. If anyone has any actual knowledge about this stuff, can you please chime in and let me know?

Here are some key parts from the MSDS sheet;

Product Name: K&E White Lightning
Chemical Name: Nepheline Syenite
Chemical Family: Inorganic Feldspathic Mineral
Formula: Composed of Na2O, Al2O3, 6SiO2, (Na, K) 2O, Al2O3, 2SiO2.

Physical State – Solid
Specific Gravity – 2.61
Appearance and Odor – White granular, Odorless
Solubility– Not Soluble
Boiling Point – 1500F

Stability – Stable, Non-reactive
Incompatible and Reactivity – None Known
Hazardous Decomposition Products – None Known

By KissMegan
I'm not super great at sands but I think the only thing you should worry about is the pH level. Sometimes silica or quartz sand can be alkaline which isn't the greatest for VFTs but I don't think it will kill them.
I'd suggest you just try to wash the sand before using it (not sure if you did that before potting), but its the safest way to go. You never know what kinds of other junk gets put in the bags of mediums you buy
I buy silver sand for my little guys because its not (supposed to be) alkaline and I like the thickness. Pretty sure its meant for terrariums but its safe for CPs too! I think its also referred to as sharp sand?
By cjpflaumer
I would be somewhat concerned about some of those ingredients because Na2O would be sodium oxide, sodium is bad. Also Na, K is listed which is sodium and potassium. It all depends on the percentage of these though. If it's a very small amount you would be just fine.
By audreytwo
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess we'll see! Is there a general amount of time it would take to see any effects from the sand if it's bad?
By Kevonicus
I'd rinse it real good and try it out on some plants and top water and see what happens. You could be just fine but if it's leeching out minerals, you'd start seeing mineral burn over a few days to weeks/months depending on just whats in there and how concentrated it is. For some piece of mind I'd just try and find some pool filter (silica) sand. It makes it a lot easier to pinpoint problems when you know for certain its not your sand thats causing it. :) The problem with industrial sands, and I guess any earth product is that the same brand could be completely different depending on where its mined.

I know this doesn't really help you out at the moment,but the only real way to have any confidence in how inert the sand is, is to purchase a TDS meter. You'd let it soak in RO/DI water (0tds) and see how much it rises over several days.
By audreytwo
Just thought I'd update everyone on this sand - definitely do not use. It caused mineral burn on the plants and they were shooting up inactive/deformed traps with blackened edges. I did an emergency repot on Sunday and rinsed all the sand/peat off the roots and planted in my usual peat & perlite mix. Hopefully they make it through, but if not then at least I and anyone else reading this now know not to use that sand.
By audreytwo
And here they are 2 months later! Phew. They went from looking like mutant blades of grass to quite the vigorous little buggers. I have a feeling that pot will be full by next year based on how quickly they're growing now.
audreytwo liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!