FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By misshelheim13
I was away from home for two days and when I got back Phil did not look good. I do not know what's wrong with him. I noticed he caught a bee. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?ImageImageImage

Trimis de pe al meu ONE E1003 folosind Tapatalk
By misshelheim13
Ping wrote:What are the growing conditions?
The plant currently has contact with the sun for about 10 hours. The temperature is about 25 - 30°C , I have not changed the soil and I hydrate it with distilled water.

By misshelheim13
thefic wrote:My first guess would be that it needs more light.
I keep the plant on the balcony and I think he has enough contact with the sun...

By Ping
Yeah I second the light deprivation. It doesn't look like this is direct sun beating on the plant for 10+ hours.
By Fieldofscreams
Not only do you have a light problem but the container you have it in looks very shallow, looks like a bowl or something.
By misshelheim13
Ping wrote:Yeah I second the light deprivation. It doesn't look like this is direct sun beating on the plant for 10+ hours.
I think you are right. The sun does not go directly to the side with my balcony. The plant really has 10 hours of light but not in direct contact with the sun.

By Ping
misshelheim13 wrote:
Ping wrote:Yeah I second the light deprivation. It doesn't look like this is direct sun beating on the plant for 10+ hours.
I think you are right. The sun does not go directly to the side with my balcony. The plant really has 10 hours of light but not in direct contact with the sun.

That would be your issue. These along with Sarracenia need direct sunlight. The long fat leaves on your plant are an attempt to 'reach' more sunlight.
By misshelheim13
Okay, can you tell me what kind of container to use?

By misshelheim13
Ping wrote:
misshelheim13 wrote:

That would be your issue. These along with Sarracenia need direct sunlight. The long fat leaves on your plant are an attempt to 'reach' more sunlight.
Thanks for your time! ImageImage

By Ping
misshelheim13 wrote:Okay, can you tell me what kind of container to use?

Any plastic pot will work. It's hard to tell the exact size of your plant but I'd guess a 3.5" or a 4" pot would be just fine.
By misshelheim13
Ping wrote:

Any plastic pot will work. It's hard to tell the exact size of your plant but I'd guess a 3.5" or a 4" pot would be just fine.
Oh, okay! Is it ok to change the soil? I know I have to use simple soil without fertilizer. Can you give me some tips about the soil?

By Ping
misshelheim13 wrote:
Ping wrote:

Oh, okay! Is it ok to change the soil? I know I have to use simple soil without fertilizer. Can you give me some tips about the soil?

I would change it just because you have it out. Try not to disturb the roots right now since it's in growing season. You'll most likely set it back a bit since you're going to repot while it's not dormant. For soil mixes for Sarracenia and VFT I use a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite but you could also do peat moss and quartz sand. I don't like using long fiber sphagnum like most people since it's so much more expensive.
By misshelheim13
Ping wrote:
misshelheim13 wrote:
Ping wrote: Any plastic pot will work. It's hard to tell the exact size of your plant but I'd guess a 3.5" or a 4" pot would be just fine.

I would change it just because you have it out. Try not to disturb the roots right now since it's in growing season. You'll most likely set it back a bit since you're going to repot while it's not dormant. For soil mixes for Sarracenia and VFT I use a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite but you could also do peat moss and quartz sand. I don't like using long fiber sphagnum like most people since it's so much more expensive.
Thank you! :)

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!