FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Mikito
I have ordered some VFT seeds online couple of months ago and put them in soil approx. 2 months ago to germinate. Type of soil is sphagnum moss mixed with perlite. After a couple of days, almost all seeds germinated but had a strange look. Today after almost 2 months all plants look strange, nothing like on pictures that I find on the internet.
Here are the pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/hkyvsbX

What is wrong with them? Doesn't looks like VFT at all...
By Mikito
Fieldofscreams wrote:Those aren't VFTs
Yes, I can see that :) but the seeds are the same as of VFT, small black.. I don't know what is it then.
Plant roots are on the surface of the substrate, almost non-existent.
I don't know anymore, so confused...
By Fieldofscreams
Growing VFT from seed isn't a good idea for new growers. They are extremely difficult to grow and to make matters worse it takes many years for them to mature into adult plants.

Better off buying an established plant when starting out.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Mikito wrote: What is wrong with them? Doesn't looks like VFT at all...
Definitely not fly traps. After reading what you wrote, I thought maybe it's Bog grass. But after seeing the pictures, I would say you didn't get fly trap seeds. I agree with Fieldofscreams. Better to start with a young Venus Fly Trap and not seeds.
By Shadowtski
Where did you get the seeds?
There is a thriving industry, based primarily in China, that sells fake and mis-identified seeds.
Usually they do business on eBay.

Sorry you got burnt.

But on the other hand, Welcome to the Forum.
You'll find some good people here.
We have our own community Seed Bank here.
Check it out some time.
Good growing,
Mike
By tommyr
You got ripped off. Happens quite a lot actually to people sadly. Only buy from reputable places, forget eBay, especially when it comes to stuff from China.
By Planter2020
Yeah, many fake seeds from China. They banned them on Aliexpress some time ago. I guess to many unsatisfied customers. I even got that "flytrap" gypsophila Elegans seeds too.....Fake as can be. One of my orders contained like 6-7 bags with ceramic sand. I checked under a microscope, and only fine grain ceramic sand....got my money back from most of the fake ones. Still, there were some of them who sent real seeds, but mostly vegetable and flower seeds. But most of the "exotic" seeds were fakes. I have noticed they have moved on to Ebay.com..de..fr..uk.., DHgate.com, lazspot.com.
the plant is real, we actually have it here in Norway in swamp like areas with moss and lots of water, good and moist areas. Have actually had a few of them when I were around 18 years old. Have a thing with plants, guess it runs in the family.
I can see if I find it in the wild and take a picture of it.
By Benny
Seems like papa-YA got scammed. Sorry about that. I have heard that China will tell you they are flytrap seeds, when they are cheap papaya seeds. :oops:
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!