FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sjham16
Hi, I have a venus fly trap and I want to ask some questions....
My VF has a flower stalk. When Is the best time to cut it off?Like when its 5 inches?
My VF had this weird deformed dead trap since like August. Should I cut it off? Its still green...

Here are some pics

By jaester
I'd wait until it is about 3-4 inches before the cut and stick in a different container directly into the soil. Bury the flower stalk about an inch down, top side up as if it's still growing out of the plant. In a few weeks, tiny VFT plants will grow around the stalk. As far as the deformed trap, I would leave it since anything green is still part of the vft's photosynthesis.
Last edited by jaester on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaester liked this
By 95slvrZ28
You want to cut the stalk when its roughly 1 to 2 inches in height. Cut it as close to the base as you can without damaging the rest of the plant. As for your deformed leaf, that happens to traps as they get older, no need to cut it off. It's still green, and as such still useful to the plant.
95slvrZ28 liked this
By Venusflytrap7
That is a funny trap, it looks like it was detached from the rhizome and dried out, or the plant's medium was kept too dry
Last edited by Venusflytrap7 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sjham16
95slvrZ28 wrote:You want to cut the stalk when its roughly 1 to 2 inches in height. Cut it as close to the base as you can without damaging the rest of the plant.
Can I just cut it with like regular scissors? Or do I have to cut it with a knife?
By Jaws
Use anything so long as you make a clean cut and dont damage the rest of your plant.
By Veronis
Also, when you cut the flower stalk, don't throw it away unless you aren't interested in trying to make additional flytraps.

If you do want to try to use the flower stalk to grow some new flytraps, review this thread. You basically just stick it into the dirt and wait. Details follow:

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/propa ... 14470.html
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!