FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
Okay where was I? Oh yes...
For those who are participating this is your final question of the day.

Question #9
The ___________ flowers "Thwack" the insect with pollen. Only considered carnivorous plant when it's in bloom.
That's a hint.. wink wink

Thwack is a highly scientific technical term. :lol:

Stay tuned tomorrow for the final question.... and blame Lethal _traps if it's too hard. Happy Labor Day everyone. :D
By Leathal_Traps
Oh phew. I thought you were posting the last one today and I was going to be at a friends house! Tomorrow is my birthday so I am in it to win it :D
hollyhock wrote:Lethal_traps failure to follow directions could result in disqualification... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Noooooooooo not agaiiiiiiiiin
By hollyhock
Happy Labor Day...
Okay ready?
Question 10 is not quite trivia... :o
You are going to have to identify the following plants... I will provide one hint for each...

If this is to HARD I want everyone to send Lethal _traps a pm and thank him.
And then wish him a Happy Birthday... :lol:
Good luck :D
Attachments:
Native to Africa
Native to Africa
IMG_20160905_083308.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4934 times
Native to Brazil
Native to Brazil
IMG_20160905_083343.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4934 times
Native to South Africa
Native to South Africa
IMG_20160905_083430.jpg (859.79 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
Native to Brazil
Native to Brazil
IMG_20160905_083457.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 4934 times
By BrunoL
Are these all species?
By hollyhock
We have a winner :D
Shadowtski was the first one to answer all of the questions and identity the 4 plants. .nice job
Mike Pm me your address and we can discuss shipping.
*Several of the trivia questions had more than one correct answer I put in parentheses answers I considered also acceptable ..

1.) What is the smallest Nepenthes species?
Nepenthes argentii
This charming tropical pitcher plant is the smallest species of Nepenthes, a spectacular genus of carnivorous plants. Nepenthes argentii is a vine that creeps along the ground, with a long, vertical, underground rhizome (4).

2.) Royal Red and Piranha are red variety VFTs. What causes them to be more red?
These cultivars produce more anthocyanin.
Red pigment production could also be due to light intensity as high light intensity stresses the plant, thus, the plant produces more anthocyanin to act as a natural sunscreen[2]. From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC125091/ , it says that red leaves were able to recover more rapidly from high-light stress treatment than leaves without anthocyanin.

[1]:http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek/fa ... lcolr.html
[2]:http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa082602a.htm

3.) Before they were known as carnivorous plants they were known as ____________?
Insectivorous Plants

4.) A recent article said the enzymes found in the pitchers of Nepenthes show promise of helping people with Celiac disease..

5.) The plant in the photo has what type of trap? Pitfall

6.) The Nepenthes rafflesiana, variety elongata. gets its nutritional needs from Hardwicke’s woolly bats poop... :o

(Tree shrews and rats are attracted to nectar secreted by N. rajah’s pitcher lid. The animals sit on the pitcher rim and defecate into it, providing the plant with nutrients.

The small insect Pameridea, which lives only on South Africa’s carnivorous Roridula, eats other bugs trapped by the plant’s sticky trichomes and then excretes nutrients that Roridula needs.)

7.) A non carnivorous plant can produce carnivorous seeds True Capsella bursa pastoris AKA Shepherd's Purse

8.) You own a little piece of American history if this vft cultivar is part of your collection.
Name the cultivar....VFT "Akai Ryu" was the first American Flytrap cultivar.
( 1955)

9.) The Stylidium flowers "Thwack" the insect with pollen. Only considered carnivorous plant when it's in bloom.

10.) A) Drosera madagascariensis
10.) B) D graomogolensis
10.) C) D. venusta (D.natalensis)
10.) D) D sessilifolia

Lethal _traps must have celebrated a little bit late and slept through Question #10
The early plant gets the bug.. :lol:
Happy birthday and better luck next time.
By hollyhock
And here is your fabulous prize. I'ts a 6 pack! :lol:

Mike I hope you are patient and ready to be a parent to these California Darlingtonia cobra lily babies.. You will be receiving at least 6 to raise..
Congratulations again... :D

And to everyone else that participated I thank you and hope that you enjoyed my trivia with a twist giveaway.. :lol:
Attachments:
Grand prize
Grand prize
IMG_20160905_104128.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 4872 times
Help! My VFT is dying

So i can keep all vft outside 24/7 in zone 6? […]

How much water is too much water?

Generally, in summer stand in water to no more tha[…]

St. Patrick’s Beard

Hasn’t made a normal trap in FOREVERR, can f[…]

FTS Archangel

:P

Triton

Amazing as always, wish it had color though ;)

GJ Goliath

Let’s try this again.

Korean Melody Shark

Smol

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!