FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By DesertPat
Hello everyone, I hope all is well. I've recently started my collection again after college happened and am excited to get things going again. I purchased some seeds from FTS recently, growing them will be the highlight of my year.

Anyway, I've been feeding my traps freezedried bloodworm and it seems that every time I feed one they turn black and die shortly after. My suspicion is that the vitamin E supplement in my bloodworms is causing this but I'd like a second opinion. If so, what bloodworm do y'all use? As a note, they die whether I feed a new or old trap it seems, on multiple plants.

Thanks and good growing!ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Nick
I always go with non-enriched bloodworms when I feed. The vitamin E may be causing the trap die off. I have found the bloodworms I use at Wal-Mart pretty easily, and hopefully you will have the same luck. The brand I use is Tetra.

However, I do notice the same issue if I do not properly dry the bloodworms before feeding. Sometimes the trap will push the excess water to the edge of the trap during the sealing phase, causing an incomplete seal and a gateway to rot.
By DesertPat
Nick wrote:I always go with non-enriched bloodworms when I feed. The vitamin E may be causing the trap die off. I have found the bloodworms I use at Wal-Mart pretty easily, and hopefully you will have the same luck. The brand I use is Tetra.

However, I do notice the same issue if I do not properly dry the bloodworms before feeding. Sometimes the trap will push the excess water to the edge of the trap during the sealing phase, causing an incomplete seal and a gateway to rot.
Thanks for the reccomemdation Nick. I do dry the worms out well before feeding so I think that is ruled out. I'll see if my Wal-Mart carries that brand and give them a try. Will update on results in a week or so!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Does anyone have multiple H. sarracenioides clones[…]

Help! My VFT is dying

What about the good Looking ones. Will they go Dor[…]

Water Quality

I used to have a pool/spa at my house in CA. The m[…]

I'd def keep it. Sometimes plants (in general, not[…]

A 15-hour photoperiod is good, yes.

I too am wondering when to start the transition. I[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

OP lives in Poland.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!