FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By NatchGreyes
Occasionally, I see them available online, but, in all honesty, if I were you, I'd wait until spring/summer and check your local nurseries/chain nurseries as you'll probably find some for half the cost of what you can get online.
By SundewWolf
As others said, a large sized plant may be hard to come by. Teds greenhouse in tinley park might still have some 1-2 foot Miranda's (I would call them to see if they still have them in stock) but they're tall individual plants. I'm not sure it that's what you want for a hanging basket, or if u want one with a bunch of basals.
Last edited by SundewWolf on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Birddog
Check out Lowes in the spring. I have seen some amazing plants there once and a while. The last time the pichers were at least 12 inches and for 35 bucks a deal. 6 or so growth point also. Thje only problem is to get the plant soon after they get it . Those wonderful 12 inch traps were all drying due to lack of water . I mentioned it and was told another company handles the plants. Anyway I had to cut back my bay window Miranda a week ago. The vines were 6 feet. Amazing plant. Takes a bit of time to grow after repotting but after that it can be a house plant with no real speacial care like all my other nepenthes. I do have about 8 cuttings rooting. What I normally do is to take alata or miranda (easy to get cuttings to take) and once rooted plant in a hanging basket and within a few months show plant. If your are interested I could offer these cuttings to you in the future. I was going to keep them but what ever if you cannot find a good plant I could offer them to you.On my first post pic One is my miranda( upper pichers).
By sss
SundewWolf wrote:As others said, a large sized plant may be hard to come by. Teds greenhouse in tinley park might still have some 1-2 foot Miranda's (I would call them to see if they still have them in stock) but they're tall individual plants. I'm not sure it that's what you want for a hanging basket, or if u want one with a bunch of basals.
I actually checked there, he was out of them.
Birddog wrote:Check out Lowes in the spring. I have seen some amazing plants there once and a while. The last time the pichers were at least 12 inches and for 35 bucks a deal. 6 or so growth point also. Thje only problem is to get the plant soon after they get it . Those wonderful 12 inch traps were all drying due to lack of water . I mentioned it and was told another company handles the plants. Anyway I had to cut back my bay window Miranda a week ago. The vines were 6 feet. Amazing plant. Takes a bit of time to grow after repotting but after that it can be a house plant with no real speacial care like all my other nepenthes. I do have about 8 cuttings rooting. What I normally do is to take alata or miranda (easy to get cuttings to take) and once rooted plant in a hanging basket and within a few months show plant. If your are interested I could offer these cuttings to you in the future. I was going to keep them but what ever if you cannot find a good plant I could offer them to you.On my first post pic One is my miranda( upper pichers).
Either I'm really unlucky, or I just don't look hard enough, sometimes I get whims to go check home depot and lowes for any plants, Lowes usually only has those little death cubes. I have never seen a single CP at Home Depot. My friend who started working at Home depot told me in december he saw a miranda a few months earlier -_-, I'm sad he didn't tell me earlier. Unfortunately everyone at these stores are pretty unhelpful, they all have apparently never seen it before when I show them a picture.
By SundewWolf
sss wrote: I actually checked there, he was out of them.
hmm. yeah, I went in Jan to pick up a "Cupped trap" and the stock seemed really low. I'm guessing because its winter they didn't order any plants since last year.
By sss
SundewWolf wrote:
hmm. yeah, I went in Jan to pick up a "Cupped trap" and the stock seemed really low. I'm guessing because its winter they didn't order any plants since last year.
I'm not sure if I would say his stock was low, he had a lot of CPs but the nepenthes were mostly ventricosa/alata/some other nepenthes I didn't recognize.

I'm wondering if you have seen any nepenthes in Home Depot or lowes since you also are in the chicago area sometimes.
By SundewWolf
sss wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:
I'm not sure if I would say his stock was low, he had a lot of CPs but the nepenthes were mostly ventricosa/alata/some other nepenthes I didn't recognize.

I'm wondering if you have seen any nepenthes in Home Depot or lowes since you also are in the chicago area sometimes.
Ted's didn't have as large of a stock as they did last summer '13. No akai ryu traps...some other cps i used to see weren't there..and I got the very last 'cup trap'. Its still is good compared to home depot/other nurserys but i think when spring comes they'll order even more plants/variety.

The only nep i've found elsewhere was a ventricosa from home depot. Still hasn't made a pitcher. I don't really like it.
By sss
SundewWolf wrote:Ted's didn't have as large of a stock as they did last summer '13. No akai ryu traps...some other cps i used to see weren't there..and I got the very last 'cup trap'. Its still is good compared to home depot/other nurserys but i think when spring comes they'll order even more plants/variety.

The only nep i've found elsewhere was a ventricosa from home depot. Still hasn't made a pitcher. I don't really like it.
I was referred to a place called Orchids by Hausermann yesterday they had some some butterworts and a VFT but apparently they have a house show or something and are expecting to get some Nepenthes and more so I'm hoping they do going to check it out.
By SundewWolf
sss wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:Ted's didn't have as large of a stock as they did last summer '13. No akai ryu traps...some other cps i used to see weren't there..and I got the very last 'cup trap'. Its still is good compared to home depot/other nurserys but i think when spring comes they'll order even more plants/variety.

I was referred to a place called Orchids by Hausermann yesterday they had some some butterworts and a VFT but apparently they have a house show or something and are expecting to get some Nepenthes and more so I'm hoping they do going to check it out.
Ive been at hausermans too. They were actually the ones who referred me to teds greenhouse! They have some cool stuff on occasion at hauserman but its kinda hit or miss. First time i went they had butterworts, capensis, typical flytraps, some ventratas, and a white sarracenia...i think it was leucophylla really good size for $20. But the second time i went they basically had nothing other than a few typical flytraps.

I would say that generally teds has a better inventory, but at hausersmans you might be able to catch a good deal on a cool plant every so often.
By sss
SundewWolf wrote:Ive been at hausermans too. They were actually the ones who referred me to teds greenhouse! They have some cool stuff on occasion at hauserman but its kinda hit or miss. First time i went they had butterworts, capensis, typical flytraps, some ventratas, and a white sarracenia...i think it was leucophylla really good size for $20. But the second time i went they basically had nothing other than a few typical flytraps.

I would say that generally teds has a better inventory, but at hausersmans you might be able to catch a good deal on a cool plant every so often.
I was amazed at hausermans. When I drove up I saw a few of their perennial green houses and then saw a brick house that said shop and thought I was going to be in and out in a minute, but then I walked in and it's like 10 greenhouses lined up full of orchids. It was amazing to see. Luckily I live only 15 minutes away so it's not a big deal to drive there, Ted's greenhouse is an hour and 10 minutes from my house, but I want to go during the summer for sure.
By SundewWolf
sss wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:Ive been at hausermans too. They were actually the ones who referred me to teds greenhouse! They have some cool stuff on occasion at hauserman but its kinda hit or miss. First time i went they had butterworts, capensis, typical flytraps, some ventratas, and a white sarracenia...i think it was leucophylla really good size for $20. But the second time i went they basically had nothing other than a few typical flytraps.

I was amazed at hausermans. When I drove up I saw a few of their perennial green houses and then saw a brick house that said shop and thought I was going to be in and out in a minute, but then I walked in and it's like 10 greenhouses lined up full of orchids. It was amazing to see. Luckily I live only 15 minutes away so it's not a big deal to drive there, Ted's greenhouse is an hour and 10 minutes from my house, but I want to go during the summer for sure.
Same here but it's worth the trip.

And yeah, Hausermans is bigger then you expect. They had some cool chocolate smelling orchids, but no Blue Vanda orchids! I've been wanting that one for a while now.
By sss
SundewWolf wrote:
sss wrote:

Same here but it's worth the trip.

And yeah, Hausermans is bigger then you expect. They had some cool chocolate smelling orchids, but no Blue Vanda orchids! I've been wanting that one for a while now.
You know any other places around here that I should check out?
By SundewWolf
Those are the only two Greenhouses/nurseries I know of in the area that stock Cp's. There may be something else around, but I haven't really found any in an online search that "jump out" saying "we have cp's!"

Sometimes vendors at the Chicago botanic garden sell a few cp's during their orchid shows, but there isn't a huge variety (some butterworts, sundews, and a couple flytraps.)

During the summer teds should be good to get a little collection going, but once you want more cool specific stuff I think you have to find other growers or order online.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!