FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By PitBulMom
Posts:  113
Joined:  Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:59 am
#313158
Try 20 ounce white styrofoam coffee cups, with holes punched in the bottom, in water trays.
With the heat you seem to live in, maybe putting the plants in the house under lights might work better for you.

I also agree with Kat, it was good advice, do what may, (or may not work for you.), all we can tell you what works for US, and we all live in different climates. This is learning as you go. What works for you, may not work for us, and vice versa.


One thing to remember fluffy123 is 14 yrs old, and has only been a member for less than a year, he is still learning too.
By Huntsmanshorn
Posts:  557
Joined:  Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:32 am
#313174
[/quote]Hi and thanks for your reply. I just need to ask, Is there a way to let it receive direct sunlight for the whole day without heating up the water of the tray? I have been thinking about placing ice cubes but for sure it won't last for 5 minutes in the hot weather. [/quote]

Could you hack together something to keep the water marginally cooler throughout some part of the day? Probably, if you are handy enough anyway. Would it be worth the time, effort, and cost? No. And your right, ice cubes won't cut it.
User avatar
By Diamond Mirror
Posts:  18
Joined:  Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 pm
#313176
Huntsmanshorn wrote:
Hi and thanks for your reply. I just need to ask, Is there a way to let it receive direct sunlight for the whole day without heating up the water of the tray? I have been thinking about placing ice cubes but for sure it won't last for 5 minutes in the hot weather. [/quote]

Could you hack together something to keep the water marginally cooler throughout some part of the day? Probably, if you are handy enough anyway. Would it be worth the time, effort, and cost? No. And your right, ice cubes won't cut it.[/quote]I noticed its not necessary when I put the pot on soil instead of black concrete. Today, my plant was healthy! Thanks for giving me tips about it. I have a off topic question, is it considered a sin when I help my VFT to catch a fly? Probably I was the reason it died, but it was for the VFT to grow better, like a boost. Just now a fly went in my cup filled with water and I covered the cup and it fell in the water then I took it and dropped it in my flytrap. I just hope it wasn't much sin

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
User avatar
By boarderlib
Posts:  1639
Joined:  Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
#313181
Okay, for starters I don't know where you get off giving me your snotty little attitude, but I am not the one to put up with it. Understand? If you think I am, I can provide a few links to some really good reading material that would prove I won't put up with anyone's attitude. With that said I'm going to try and regress and to be helpful, but we'll see where it goes.

First off you need to stop ignoring people when they ask for a location. We cannot give you solid advice unless we have a better understanding of your environment. You saying it's 80 (35°C) something degrees doesn't help us help you. Plain and simple. Nobody wants your address, a general location is pretty much necessary though. Here's an example to make it understandable for you.

I am from Northeast Ohio. This tells anybody with a brain that my climate is one of the worst as far as extremes. In winter we can get as cold as -20°F (-28°C) with -30°F (-34°C) wind chills. The worst I seen was negative 60°F (-52°C) wind chill factors. Oh, now let's talk about summer, that's always fun around August when it's over 100°F (38°C), with usually averaging 30 days a year above that. Wait, did I just type that, that can't be right, because you said
Diamond Mirror wrote:I don't think you know how to care for them in hot climates.
Let me fix this above statement you made for you to what it should've read
Diamond Mirror wrote:I don't think
. This is what you're thinking gets you. In case you're having trouble following what I'm saying, I'll make it plain and simple for you. You are WRONG, INCORRECT. I do know a little something about hot weather and cold weather as well. Not to mention the fact I mentor a vey good friend who grows VFT'S in the Arizona desert.

Now for the next issue from your post.
Diamond Mirror wrote:Your reply was not helpful.
A)That's funny, because I'm one of the most helpful people here. I've proven that in my 2 and a half year tenure here on this forum with over 1400 posts and my 490 thank yous in 346 posts. How many posts and thank yous do you have? What 15 posts and one thank you. I'm also a pretty high official in the conservation end of the CP community. What are you doing to help the community? Disrespecting productive, kind members like myself. Guess who just made the top of my shat list? You deserve an attaboy for that because that's a long list and a tough climb to get too the top. But you managed.
Diamond Mirror wrote:
PitBulMom wrote:It would help if you would tell us where you live, but...
Mine are outside all day 12+ hours right now, they get direct sunlight for more than 6 hrs and shaded light for another 6. They are loving it right now. I live in Southern Utah, it can get quite hot here, and they are all in water trays, I have had no problems. Now when we start hitting 105F they will be under a huge tree that shades our yard through the hottest part of the day. Sunlight will still get through, but not to the intensity that it is now.
Hi and thanks for your reply. I just need to ask, Is there a way to let it receive direct sunlight for the whole day without heating up the water of the tray? I have been thinking about placing ice cubes but for sure it won't last for 5 minutes in the hot weather.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
)
B) PBM gave you basically the same advice I did, and you thanked her, but yet mine was unhelpful

Maybe you should retire back to your forum that you started on VFT care. You know the one with zero members and no threads and an absolutely clueless admin. Maybe they can tell you about temps. It seems to me if you're asking questions like this, you don't need to lead anyone. I wouldn't even trust you to lead a dog, let alone a group of beginners trying to learn. I feel bad for anyone who takes advice from you. Maybe you should just refer all of your members to me, and I'll not be helpful by getting them going in the right direction. Especially since you don't have enough common sense to not put pots on blacktop.
Diamond Mirror wrote:I noticed its not necessary when I put the pot on soil instead of black concrete.
Here's a science lesson for you black attracts heat, so putting your pots on black asphalt on a summers day is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I'm an active member of the car community, so I've seen some seriously dumb stuff. But you take the cake! Kudos for that.

Here's a pic of one of my pots growing in hot weather here last summer, you know when it was over 38°C. This was acquired as a starter plant from FTS spring of 16, and I've never propagated a VFT. I jyst give them good conditions and watch them grow and divide and fill up 6" (15cm) pots. You can't even get one to grow right, let alone fill up a big pot. But what do I know?Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
Posts:  761
Joined:  Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am
#313188
boarderlib wrote:Okay, for starters I don't know where you get off giving me your snotty little attitude, but I am not the one to put up with it. Understand? If you think I am, I can provide a few links to some really good reading material that would prove I won't put up with anyone's attitude. With that said I'm going to try and regress and to be helpful, but we'll see where it goes.

First off you need to stop ignoring people when they ask for a location. We cannot give you solid advice unless we have a better understanding of your environment. You saying it's 80 (35°C) something degrees doesn't help us help you. Plain and simple. Nobody wants your address, a general location is pretty much necessary though. Here's an example to make it understandable for you.

I am from Northeast Ohio. This tells anybody with a brain that my climate is one of the worst as far as extremes. In winter we can get as cold as -20°F (-28°C) with -30°F (-34°C) wind chills. The worst I seen was negative 60°F (-52°C) wind chill factors. Oh, now let's talk about summer, that's always fun around August when it's over 100°F (38°C), with usually averaging 30 days a year above that. Wait, did I just type that, that can't be right, because you said
Diamond Mirror wrote:I don't think you know how to care for them in hot climates.
Let me fix this above statement you made for you to what it should've read
Diamond Mirror wrote:I don't think
. This is what you're thinking gets you. In case you're having trouble following what I'm saying, I'll make it plain and simple for you. You are WRONG, INCORRECT. I do know a little something about hot weather and cold weather as well. Not to mention the fact I mentor a vey good friend who grows VFT'S in the Arizona desert.

Now for the next issue from your post.
Diamond Mirror wrote:Your reply was not helpful.
A)That's funny, because I'm one of the most helpful people here. I've proven that in my 2 and a half year tenure here on this forum with over 1400 posts and my 490 thank yous in 346 posts. How many posts and thank yous do you have? What 15 posts and one thank you. I'm also a pretty high official in the conservation end of the CP community. What are you doing to help the community? Disrespecting productive, kind members like myself. Guess who just made the top of my shat list? You deserve an attaboy for that because that's a long list and a tough climb to get too the top. But you managed.
Diamond Mirror wrote:
PitBulMom wrote:It would help if you would tell us where you live, but...
Mine are outside all day 12+ hours right now, they get direct sunlight for more than 6 hrs and shaded light for another 6. They are loving it right now. I live in Southern Utah, it can get quite hot here, and they are all in water trays, I have had no problems. Now when we start hitting 105F they will be under a huge tree that shades our yard through the hottest part of the day. Sunlight will still get through, but not to the intensity that it is now.
Hi and thanks for your reply. I just need to ask, Is there a way to let it receive direct sunlight for the whole day without heating up the water of the tray? I have been thinking about placing ice cubes but for sure it won't last for 5 minutes in the hot weather.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
)
B) PBM gave you basically the same advice I did, and you thanked her, but yet mine was unhelpful

Maybe you should retire back to your forum that you started on VFT care. You know the one with zero members and no threads and an absolutely clueless admin. Maybe they can tell you about temps. It seems to me if you're asking questions like this, you don't need to lead anyone. I wouldn't even trust you to lead a dog, let alone a group of beginners trying to learn. I feel bad for anyone who takes advice from you. Maybe you should just refer all of your members to me, and I'll not be helpful by getting them going in the right direction. Especially since you don't have enough common sense to not put pots on blacktop.
Diamond Mirror wrote:I noticed its not necessary when I put the pot on soil instead of black concrete.
Here's a science lesson for you black attracts heat, so putting your pots on black asphalt on a summers day is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I'm an active member of the car community, so I've seen some seriously dumb stuff. But you take the cake! Kudos for that.

Here's a pic of one of my pots growing in hot weather here last summer, you know when it was over 38°C. This was acquired as a starter plant from FTS spring of 16, and I've never propagated a VFT. I jyst give them good conditions and watch them grow and divide and fill up 6" (15cm) pots. You can't even get one to grow right, let alone fill up a big pot. But what do I know?Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
At my new place, my Fly Traps and Sundews also get direct sunlight from 9am to about 2pm and then the sun goes behind trees for shaded light the rest of the day. I will probably get a little more sunlight as the sun gets higher in the sky, but this situation is perfect, especially for hot Summer. I believe it was Boarderlib who told me to shade the traps last Summer because they were getting burned. Or maybe they were wilting from the heat as well. And maybe drying out as well. I can't remember but shading them in the hottest part of the day helps. Seems like I couldn't keep enough water in their trays because of the hot sun?
Fly Traps in the wild can handle all day sunlight but they have ample water.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By mouthstofeed
Posts:  468
Joined:  Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:07 am
#313194
To be honest, VFTs would take all the sunlight if they could get it. Of course, they don't want their soil to cook them, or to dry out. But VFTS absolutely love as much sunlight as they can get.

About flowering, if the death cubes are any gauge, they seem to want to flower no matter what light they get. Same for sarracenia. Even these survive the ordeal, so it's not a difficult task for a VFT in good sunlight to flower and survive.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Posts:  761
Joined:  Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am
#313206
Diamond Mirror wrote:They can survive the heat but the Marginal Teeth will be burnt and therefore it can't catch anything as insects can easily escape. Maybe it will grow stronger babies overtime

Boarderlib the noober
Diamond mirror: Now I think you are trying to stir things up here and you really don't know what you are talking about, not even a little. You need to try to read and not talk.
Try that exercise, read and zip up your mouth! I am not helping you anymore if you are here just to stir things up.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By FLTropical
Posts:  258
Joined:  Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:42 am
#313208
You have two choices: first, everything you need to know is already on here. We are being nice. Go read, and maybe come back with an apology someday. Your attitude and behavior don’t belong here. Or continue as you are, and get banned. It won’t be the first time that’s happened. Choose.
FLTropical liked this
User avatar
By Diamond Mirror
Posts:  18
Joined:  Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 pm
#313209
Oh I don't really care when I ask about something I want a pure answer not some personal things that everyone LOVES to mention. Use your brain, think if it's right to give some random answer or not. The offender always win in here I see... You are the one that should zip your big mouth and use your brain.

Boarderlib the noober
User avatar
By Diamond Mirror
Posts:  18
Joined:  Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 pm
#313210
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
Diamond Mirror wrote:They can survive the heat but the Marginal Teeth will be burnt and therefore it can't catch anything as insects can easily escape. Maybe it will grow stronger babies overtime

Boarderlib the noober
Diamond mirror: Now I think you are trying to stir things up here and you really don't know what you are talking about, not even a little. You need to try to read and not talk.
Try that exercise, read and zip up your mouth! I am not helping you anymore if you are here just to stir things up.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
Stir things up? I simply asked a question and you wont give me a damn answer? If you don't know anything about it, zip your mouth and ignore it. I don't like it when people talk boolsheet without a conclusion. Keep your bad habit, and you will sure be out one day. I don't mind leaving this forum filled with ignorant people anyway.

Don't give me an answer if you are not sure
User avatar
By boarderlib
Posts:  1639
Joined:  Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
#313213
Diamond Mirror wrote:They can survive the heat but the Marginal Teeth will be burnt and therefore it can't catch anything as insects can easily escape. Maybe it will grow stronger babies overtime

Boarderlib the noober
This is really funny you should bring this up, because guess what moron? This is what I told you in the beginning. You know, right here
boarderlib wrote: It just more or less slows in growth, and the leaves crisp up.
But hey I guess that's not what I said, I mean after all there it is in black and white!
Diamond Mirror wrote:Oh I don't really care when I ask about something I want a pure answer not some personal things that everyone LOVES to mention. Use your brain, think if it's right to give some random answer or not. The offender always win in here I see... You are the one that should zip your big mouth and use your brain.

Boarderlib the noober
I did use my grey matter, but it's obvious you aren't smart enough to follow my logic, you want to know how I know that because you couldn't refute one thing I said. As a matter of fact I refer you to the above where you used my advice. So who is it that isn't using their brain? In case you need help with that question, here's the answer, YOU!

Who's the offender you are referring to? I see you're not specifically calling me out other than to call me a noober, and I'm quite certain I fall into you're "ideats" comment below, at least by your idiotic standards.
Diamond Mirror wrote:Good luck Ideats :) those who are not smart enough to realise that they are dumb.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
You should look in the mirror once in awhile, oh but wait you wouldn't do that because then you would know the face of a true moron. Image

I'm a noober, uh? Yet I'm the one here to help the noobs like you! I'm not on here posting stupid questions like the ones mentioned in every post you make. I've already proven myself. I'm already successful. You are not! You don't want to hear the answer you are given by a multitude of guess who, far superior growers than you! Guess what here's a simple answer for you. You are a moron, an idiot, a nincompoop! You will never be successful in this hobby burning bridges the way you are.

Oh yeah and guess what, "ideats" is a cop out! If you're going to start name calling, at least have the balls to do it right, instead of half assed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By twitterglitter
Posts:  253
Joined:  Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 pm
#313217
Diamond Mirror wrote:Good luck Ideats :) those who are not smart enough to realise that they are dumb.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
Wow. This is one of the most active cp forums out there. Why in the world you want to burn that bridge has me stumped. Guess I'm an 'ideat' too.
My 6 year old is a successful fly trap grower because of the knowledge of quite a few members here and your calling them idiots.
If you need specific answers, it would help you to give people some general idea of where you are located and weather or not your baking your plants on black top. I have seen a few of your posts, and I have seen multiple people ask about your location and growing conditions. You don't answer. Then you have the gall to call people idiots when they can't give you a specific answer due to a lack of information on your end.
Please, do leave here as you previously stated, and good riddance.

Oh yeah, Happy Easter.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
By PitBulMom
Posts:  113
Joined:  Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:59 am
#313220
Ok, let us just leave Diamond Mirror to his own devices, since he thinks he is smarter than all of us! I have a hunch, he and Fluffy123 are big buds and are just trying to stir things up.

I will happily help any SERIOUS people wanting help.

BYE! Come on friends, let us leave these two juveniles to their own stupidity!

P.S. DM use the spell check on your phone.

The seeds were mailed on August 6th, and the winne[…]

August bonus

Thank you very much, I hope it works soon🤞 I reall[…]

Order received. Your order number is 0127. I'll PM[…]

Drosera Hamiltonii

I have drosera Hamiltonii for sale. $10 for each p[…]

Non vft virgin

Well evenwind sounds like the only way to find out[…]

Is this a HUGE mistake!!!!

Lol thanks Adriana. Ive had the gravel for a coupl[…]

Cape Sundew Death???

Hi Everyone. Here is the picture of my dried up ca[…]

Order received. Your order number is 0126. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!