FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jenny Lee
I am beyond devastated that my Venus flytrap‘s look like they are dying. I have kept them outside for a year and a half and they I thought at this time would be growing showing growth and I went out today and a lot of the branches and traps are black. Do you think there’s any hope for it?
Attachments:
E12D2835-CBC3-4BB4-8662-D0F9200B0AEF.jpeg
E12D2835-CBC3-4BB4-8662-D0F9200B0AEF.jpeg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 1955 times
7F382EF8-2480-40AA-A39C-D04BA610FA50.jpeg
7F382EF8-2480-40AA-A39C-D04BA610FA50.jpeg (3.54 MiB) Viewed 1955 times
By MaxVft
Have you repotted them in that year and a half?If not,you really should.I would reccomend LFSM,but that's all up to you.What are you watering them with?Distilled is best.How hot and bright is the sunlight where you live,and how much direct sunlight are they getting?It doesn't look like mineral burn to me,but more like a light deficiency.
By Jenny Lee
I just repotted them may be a month and a half ago. I have them in my backyard I live in Phoenix so it’s pretty hot but even through last year‘s extremely hot summer they made it just fine. I have them under a shade cloth which is what I did last year and was hoping that would be fine this year. They get no direct sunlight.
By CPhunter101
This is definitely a case of light deficiency. You can tell by the dark green color of the leaves.
Try acclimating the vft to light slowly. Eventually, the vft should be placed in full sun.
Vfts need full sun to survive.
I hope this helps.
By Jenny Lee
I forgot to tell you I have been watering them with distilled water since I got them.
By ChefDean
I don't think light is a problem. Direct sunlight filtered through a shade cloth is just fine, and I know many growers in the desert southwest that grow all kinds of carnivorous plants outside in the blazing sun. The trick is to give them direct morning sunlight when it's cooler, then shade or dappled light after about 10 or 11 while keeping them in water almost 25/8. The lack of humidity will suck the water out of the media and tray quickly, and the direct sun during the hottest parts of the day will cause them to spontaneously ignite. (Not really, but they can decline rapidly) However, I have a couple of other concerns.
First, it may be planted too deep. It looks like the media settled around the growth point, choking it. It's struggling to put out new leaves.
Next, I see dead bugs in the pot. That's probably a non issue because I only see a few, but those decomposing carcasses will add nutrients to the soil. In the wild, those carcasses generally blow away, but you'll want to clean them out so they don't accumulate in your pot.
Also, you repotted about 6 weeks ago, but into what? That media looks a little odd, maybe coco coir? Personally, I would suggest a repot into LFSM. It can get spendy if you have more than a few plants, but I think the plants do better in it.
Good luck.
tommyr liked this
By Jenny Lee
Thank you for your response but I’m not sure what 25/8 is can you help me with that?
By ChefDean
Jenny Lee wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:35 pm Thank you for your response but I’m not sure what 25/8 is can you help me with that?
Instead of saying 24/7 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week), you say 25/8, denoting a bit more importance.
In this case, a plant that generally experiences wetter and less severe conditions than can normally be found in Arizona, it's of a greater importance to make sure that as close to optimal conditions are being met. 25/8 is just a way to stress that point rather than write a paragraph on how vital it is that they stay moist.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!