FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By TW93AW
I read somewhere on the internet you can germinate your VFT seeds in a bowl of water.....is this true?....apparently it might increase the chances of a successful germination......
By Matt
Could that "somewhere on the web" have been here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 93&start=0

As far as I know, Adam was the first one to attempt this and it became quite a popular way of germinating. I think it's more of a novelty than anything because germination for me is always 90% or better when I simply sow the seeds on the surface of my chosen soil mix and cover or keep the pot in a plastic bag to keep the humidity high until germination has finished.

But by all means, give it a try if you'd like! :)
By Adam
It's pretty much >90% chance of germinating. i seal the jar so I don't have to refill the water as it evaporates. I don't like the part where I have to plant them. The extra days that you get for the germination isn't worth the trouble of planting them. I now prefer to sterilize and seal a small pot in a jar with seeds. Same germination success rate but a day or two later than pure water germination: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =18&t=3764
By TW93AW
I have a propogator and the water left in a tray doesnt evaporate for a week, so i think there will be enoguh humidity.......so i should give it a try?
By moof
Hey that's interesting, never tried water only. I did sow seeds in very wet silica sand and perlite, it worked good too. I obtained once leaf pullings in water, but it was a slow process so I don't think it might be useful as a method of propagation by vegetative means
By Adam
I have yet to try water only leaf pullings. I like the hands-off prospect. Perhaps cleaning the pulling and sterilizing the jar will allow an algae free environment. I'm all for sealing things and letting time do the rest.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!