FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
UPDATE

So it's been 30 days and a lot has happened since. I took more measurements of the temperature, and found out that the leaves of my plants got up to 109 degrees (38 C). I believe this in combination with the low humidity (20-30%) is why they get so stressed in the summer. I also think that because of this, keeping the soil on the wetter side shouldn't harm them at all in this weather. I know some people might disagree but a thread that promotes the "moist, not wet" rule (by the way, am the only person who thinks those to words are practically interchangeable?) also says that the tray method can be used in hotter weather.

rhizome-t4375-10.html#p44781
I never keep them standing in a tray of water except for sometimes when they are outside on a hot day with intense sun
Drier medium when the temperature is cool or cold, like during dormancy, to help prevent rot (hot, sunny and wet is usually OK; cold and wet is usually not OK)
So since then I've moved them to a spot that doesn't get any direct sunlight after 2:00 PM. And so far, things are doing pretty well. They've put out a lot of traps. Albeit smaller, occasionally burnt traps, but lots of new growth nonetheless. They've also started to put out several new growth points, which shows that they are probably a bit more vigorous and healthy than they were before. Here's a picture of there new growing space, along with individual picture of each plant.

Growing area, with a sarracenia.
IMG_1134[1].JPG
IMG_1134[1].JPG (2.8 MiB) Viewed 1837 times
The smaller plant. With one new growth point
IMG_1135[1].JPG
IMG_1135[1].JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 1839 times
The bigger plant, with three or so new growth points.
IMG_1137[1].JPG
IMG_1137[1].JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 1837 times
By Doublebass1985
This is just a guess, but maybe its a little bit nitrogen starved? The insects it captures provide the nitrogen and other nutrients that the plant needs to flourish. The more nitrogen the plant gets the bigger the traps it produces hence why the traps get larger to fully utilize bigger prey because it uses so much energy to close and digest prey. If you want to feed it i suggest going to petco and getting a can of mealworms for lizards and other reptiles and what's nice about the canned mealworms is they are well moisturized so you don't have to rehydrate like you do with the freeze dried bloodworms. Anyways just thought i'd give my two cents and maybe I'm wrong who knows. My plants love those mealworms though it's like eating 5 energy bars to us.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!