Venus Flytrap dormancy

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps
User Avatar
swat007j

 
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:31 am
Location: California
Thanked: 53 times in 51 posts

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by swat007j » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 am

Cool be sure to update this post , once they come out of dormancy I would love to see the before an after looks . thx

User Avatar
squidgee

 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:56 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by squidgee » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:12 am

My question is very similar to John-D. I have purchased my first ever fly trap 2 weeks ago and reading up I assume it was in the process of going into dormancy (or dying lol) but now it's putting out new growth. I can only assume that where it was growing and where it is now it thinks it probably is spring but the start of winter is only a month or so away. It is Queensland Australia where we have mild winters so only cool not actually cold (jumpers are sometimes optional lol). I read here that one time is ok but I'm a little confused about dormancy - is it ok to deny them light altogether during winter(ie the fridge method) or should they still actually recieve light and if that light duration is the same for summer should I reduce it's light intake? Thanks for any help I've never tried venus fly traps before..

User Avatar
jamez

 
Posts: 702
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 am
Thanked: 92 times in 84 posts

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by jamez » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:49 pm

squidgee wrote:My question is very similar to John-D. I have purchased my first ever fly trap 2 weeks ago and reading up I assume it was in the process of going into dormancy (or dying lol) but now it's putting out new growth. I can only assume that where it was growing and where it is now it thinks it probably is spring but the start of winter is only a month or so away. It is Queensland Australia where we have mild winters so only cool not actually cold (jumpers are sometimes optional lol). I read here that one time is ok but I'm a little confused about dormancy - is it ok to deny them light altogether during winter(ie the fridge method) or should they still actually recieve light and if that light duration is the same for summer should I reduce it's light intake? Thanks for any help I've never tried venus fly traps before..



It should be on track if you purchased it in latitude south. If it was purchased in latitude north it might be off track. If it's a TC plant for latitude north you may be able to trick it into your seasons.

User Avatar
GothicJackalPaws

 
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 pm
Thanked: 35 times in 33 posts

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by GothicJackalPaws » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm one of the lucky ones who live in NC, so I don't even need to bother about the weather.

However, I must say that when they first went dormant, my ignorance led me to believe they were dead. o___o

User Avatar
jamez

 
Posts: 702
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 am
Thanked: 92 times in 84 posts

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by jamez » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 am

GothicJackalPaws wrote:I'm one of the lucky ones who live in NC, so I don't even need to bother about the weather.

However, I must say that when they first went dormant, my ignorance led me to believe they were dead. o___o



You have no problem in the winter? It's not just NC that is good for flytraps. The best area is SE NC.

User Avatar
liyuan123

 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:50 pm
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by liyuan123 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm

why were the leaves on the flytraps so small?The traps are huge,but the leaves are very short.My flytrap's leaves are over twice as long but the traps are tiny.

User Avatar
Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 20301
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:28 am
Location: Ashland, Oregon
Thanked: 4958 times in 3985 posts

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by Matt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:43 pm

liyuan123 wrote:My flytrap's leaves are over twice as long but the traps are tiny.

That's usually a clear indication that the plant isn't getting enough light.
My Growlist
Eat Plants! Leave the meat for our pet plants :)

User Avatar
JPPALM

 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:38 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by JPPALM » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:44 pm

What time in winter does the plant go into dormancy

User Avatar
CallousCal

 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 11:49 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by CallousCal » Tue May 29, 2012 12:36 am

Sorry; this question might sound stupid to the more experienced growers out there but... I still wouldn't know how to tell if my plant is entering dormancy; I bought a couple yesterday and how could I tell if they are currently dormant or not? I haven't a clue :?

User Avatar
venusflytrapfan76

 
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 12:52 am
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by venusflytrapfan76 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 am

Question about the smaller plants: Is it necessary to let the smaller plants go dormant or do we have to take out the smaller plants?

User Avatar
venusflytrapfan76

 
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 12:52 am
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by venusflytrapfan76 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:19 am

CallousCal wrote:Sorry; this question might sound stupid to the more experienced growers out there but... I still wouldn't know how to tell if my plant is entering dormancy; I bought a couple yesterday and how could I tell if they are currently dormant or not? I haven't a clue :?

Well, what time of the season are you currently in?

User Avatar
tommyr

 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:38 am
Location: United States
Thanked: 244 times in 218 posts

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by tommyr » Tue May 29, 2012 1:32 am

CallousCal wrote:Sorry; this question might sound stupid to the more experienced growers out there but... I still wouldn't know how to tell if my plant is entering dormancy; I bought a couple yesterday and how could I tell if they are currently dormant or not? I haven't a clue :?


WHERE are you located? Northern or southern hemisphere?

User Avatar
Starchy
Super User
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:58 am
Location: Hardiness Zone 6a/b, Massachusetts
Thanked: 196 times in 174 posts

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by Starchy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:48 am

Great article moof. I will prove to be very helpful this coming autumn/winter, when I will be experiencing my first dormancy try.

I plan on placing my VFT in a dark basement during the winter months when it goes into dormancy because I live in Massachusetts where outside is too cold, and inside is too heated. I will have an artificial lighting system in place using a 4 ft frame with a t5 6500k bulb with reflector.

My question is: should I increase the space the VFT is away from the light? Currently, I am using the lighting system on cool/cloudy days where I feel the VFT wouldn't get enough light outside. At this time (May/June), I am keeping the light very close to the VFT (2-4 inches). Also, how many hours of artifical light should I allow the VFT to have during dormancy?

User Avatar
jamzjamz

 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:34 am
Location: California
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by jamzjamz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:13 am

Nice article!

I live in CA, San Jose and read that my area gets freezing so it is not safe to put outside during winter times.

However, can I put my plants under a patio and provide it indirect sunlight (my patio has a moon roof on the side). Will this be adequate amount of light for dormancy?

User Avatar
tommyr

 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:38 am
Location: United States
Thanked: 244 times in 218 posts

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by tommyr » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:18 pm

My VFTs live in the fridge during dormancy in zip lock bags. They get no light, except when I go in the fridge for brief seconds. I've had the same VFTs for 6 years now.

PreviousNext

Return to Venus Fly Trap Care Questions

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests