FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Venus Fly Trap Kid
Hello,

I just want to ask if there is any way to germinate Venus Fly trap seeds quicker?
Because i saw a video on youtube tat u can germinate a orange seed alot quicker by peeling off the layer.
Could you do this wiv a Venus fly trap seed? :?:
By Matt
I've never tried it, but I know it's possible to remove the seed coat. I've read that you can use a magnifying glass and a scalpel to gently cut it open and then peel or squeeze the seed out of the seed coat. This would like speed up the germination process. It sounds very difficult to do though since they are so terribly small.

If you give it a shot, let us all know. I'd be interested in hearing your experience.
By lemonlily
Does this lead to awkard plants? Hurting the plant? (Or seed at the moment.)
By linton
You could try treating the seeds with Gibberellic Acid-3 (GA-3), a naturally occurring plant growth regulator which may cause a variety of effects including the stimulation of seed germination in some cases. GA-3 occurs naturally in the seeds of many species and is produced commercially by growing Gibberella fujikuroi fungus cultures in vats, then extracting and purifying the GA-3. Presoaking seeds in GA-3 solution will in many cases cause the rapid germination of many types of highly dormant seeds which would otherwise need cold treatment, after-ripening or aging, or other prolonged pretreatments. Many different types of dormancy are overcome with GA-3, excellent results have been achieved with many ordinarily difficult seeds, including some types which we have never before succeeded with. Not all seeds respond well. A great deal of research needs to be done to determine which species benefit, and the proper concentration of GA-3 for each type.
I'm not altogether sure about the effects of GA-3 on Dionaea seed, you could also try scarification, a natural process important for germination of many species' seeds. This process involves the breaching of the natural seed coating by mechanical, thermal or microbial methods. While this process occurs naturally in the wild, humans have developed techniques to emulate the natural processes for some seeds used in cultivation. Probably to easiest method used to scarify seed is to rub the seed on some very fine sandpaper until the seed coat is breached, this should allow water to penetrate more rapidly and encourage faster germination, but be very careful not to damage the embryo seedling inside by rubbing too deep..
By DarkDays1143
I need to find some venus flytrap seeds that are genuine if anyone has any they can spare or any that I can buy. I would be really greatful.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!