FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By John S
Hey everyone. I've been a member of this forum for about a month now and I just wanted to ask a question that I've been wondering about for quite some time now. I'm actually a college student (majoring in integrative biology with a concentration in plant bio) and I've started the long search for graduate schools. I don't know exactly what part of plant bio I want to dive into, but I was wondering if anyone knew about any university research going on involving venus fly traps. I like plant bio involving biofuel crops and stuff like that, but I'm just trying to keep an open mind. I'm just curious as to what research is going on currently and where it is taking place. If anyone has any helpful hints, they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
By Shimizoki
Sorry mate, I didn't respond before because I don't have the slightest idea... I'm sure others did the same thing. I wish you luck in finding that school.
By John S
Ya that's what I figured. It seems pretty hard to find info on this kind of thing but thanks Shimizoki!
By Jaws
Tried a quick google for you, but couldnt produce anything.
By Steve_D
John, you might ask this question at the International Carnivorous Plant Society's own forum. Some members of the ICPS are more directly involved with academics or have careers in an academic environment. The ICPS in general tends to be more scholarly, at least judging by their Carnivorous Plant Newsletter.

International Carnivorous Plant Society Forum
http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
By BradR
Get some copies of recent Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. It's the journal of the ICPS. You should become a member if you are not already. There are scientific, research articles relating to carnivorous plants in every issue. Take a look at the authors and their institutions. That is where you will find who's currently active in CP research.

Brad

EDIT: Sorry Steve, looks loke we replied at the sme time. Great minds think alike.
BradR liked this
By John S
Hmmm that sounds pretty interesting. I'm definitely going to look into becoming a member. Thanks guys!
By Shimizoki
A bud of mine said its 30 dollars per year to become a member... but you get access to a quarterly journal which is supposed to be amazing. Also to a seed bank where you can buy and trade seeds for super cheap. Said its will worth it.
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!