FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Rosekitten
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I6 ... PDKIKX0DER

So that should work correct? As soon as it comes in I need to transplant the poor things into the proper mixture so I hope they will still be ok..

~~~~

actually ignore that link, noticed it was the same company and people were complaining about getting sheet moss and not what they ordered. Not risking it a second time.

~~~

Should I mix up the sand and perlite to make a new medium until the moss comes in? it'll be a few days.. >.<
By boarderlib
nimbulan wrote:Now that you mention it, this product may not actually be sphagnum. It's a bit hard to tell from your pictures as the moss is pretty blurry. Generally true sphagnum will either be labeled as long fiber sphagnum moss or orchid moss and has a pretty distinctive appearance. Better Gro and Spagmoss are good high quality brands to look at. I would avoid Mosser Lee.
Definitely agree with avoiding Mosser, that stuff is of horrible quality! I've used LFSM from FTS, excellent quality! I'll be using some of the Spagmoss stuff here in a few weeks, as I've heard it's pretty good quality. Just looking through the bag it looks the same as FTS's.

Happy growing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
I use Spagmoss myself and it's been great for me. I bought a bag of Mosser Lee before I got that and you would not believe how much junk makes its way into their bags. I even found a (thin) foot-long branch from a bush with leaves still attached. It's really too bad since it's harvested in the US so it should be cheaper and more environmentally friendly than importing.

Spagmoss on the other hand contains very little debris and is supposed to be sustainably-harvested in New Zealand. I would leave the plants until you get the proper moss as I don't think all-mineral soil would be any better than being in the wrong type of moss.

The best option though, is to revive some of the Spagmoss once you get it and grow your own. It's a bit slow to get started but once it does, it's pretty easy to keep going.
By Rosekitten
I'll be ordering some live moss in a week or two to grow some so I shouldn't run into a issue anymore for the moss at least. I'm a bit upset at myself for not thinking that the color was off or that something was just wrong with the moss altogether. Heck last night I pulled what I assume is a fern or pine needles form the moss pack .. xP
By Benurmanii
Be careful when handling any dried sphagnum. It can contain a fungus that will get in through small lesions and wounds on your skin. I usually use gloves when I handle sphagnum (not always, I'm sort of lazy). Better to be safe than sorry!

Even though Sphagmoss is usually pretty clean, I actually encountered a pretty awful thorn in it the other day. I was squeezing the ball of sphagnum when I felt a sharp object jab into my thumb through my glove. It actually got me twice before I dug it out of the moss. It had blood about a centimeter and a half down the thorn, nasty thing!

Needless to say, I'm trying to keep an eye on where it jabbed me, in case it got infected by the fungus (which won't cause issues unless it is left untreated for many months. It starts as a small, painless bump).
By Rosekitten
Oh no no I wore gloves when I was dealing with it. I already knew to wear gloves and to keep my hands washed (arms and change of clothes as well from all of the dust the first pack of moss I was working with seemed to have in it.. bleh!).

I tend to wear gloves out of habit when gardening or dealing with plants. Too many years helping my grandfather on his berry farm and dealing with thorns and other nasty things. :P

Being a parent now i tend to slap medicine and heavily clean even the smallest of wounds. I can't afford to be sick or my little ones heh.
By Benurmanii
nimbulan wrote:I've never heard of anyone actually getting sick from handling sphagnum or peat.
It's rare but there have been cases. I prefer to play it safe when I can. For all we know, the fungus may not survive in the sphagnum anymore, with changing weather conditions.

Whatsapp; + 1(210)446-8224 Purchase #Goethe-DSH-Ze[…]

The light requirements for a VFT are such that ind[…]

I would think that the TDS would be different in d[…]

Hello from New England

Greetings from another New Englanda’

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

8s, keep looking on Craig's List and any local &qu[…]

Input on Neps placement

Would you folks recommend putting my plants outdoo[…]

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!