FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Artchic528
There has been a popular theory that our known observable universe is nothing more than a simulation and we are simply "plugged" into it somehow. Much like a real life version of the movie "The Matrix".

If that is somehow true, can the beings who are responsible for creating it run some form of system health check? 2020 appears to have a huge virus in it. Maybe a new Antivirus program is needed, or maybe simply delete the 2020 files and bring the simulation straight into 2021?

Or maybe it was intentional? Maybe it's all some sick sadistic way for a being to find humor in torturing us all? I see it happen on Youtube with people playing "The Sims". Or worse yet, it's a system check program to cull the character files when they become too numerous and clog up the processors?

Okay.....I'm beginning to think too heavily into this. Time to go and water my plants.

And here I thought in 2016 that things couldn't get any worse...
Last edited by Artchic528 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanguinearocks101, Matt liked this
By ChefDean
There is a theory that once we figure out the secrets of the universe, answer the questions of who, what, where, when why, and how we are here, that the universe will immediately implode upon itself, only to be replaced with one even more strange and inexplicable.
There is another theory that this has happened numerous times already.
By evenwind
@ChefDean That reminds of an Arthur C. Clark short story "The Nine Billion Names of God", written in the early days of computers (1953). A group of Tibetan monks believe that once they write down all the names, the universe will be complete and will end. They've been writing down names for centuries. So they hire some computer people to speed it up. At the end of the story, the computer people leave the monastery while the computer finishes it's final run (they don't want to be around when the monks find out that they were wrong). As they ride away, the stars are winking out.
By sanguinearocks101
I have spent numerous hours contemplating time travel and have deemed that it is scientifically impossible. How would it even be possible, it would only be possible is matter had some way to track all of its' previous positions, like if it left a tiny invisible string behind it everywhere it went. Also, you would need extra energy to reverse nuclear fusion happening in stars than was present in the reactants. Assuming it was possible, if you fixed something in the past then there would be no need for future you to fix it. That would cause the universe to create multiple timelines if anything was changed(even a speck of dust moving from your walking on the ground and the air moving away from the spot you appeared when you traveled back in time) going back in time would create a new timeline and not fix the problem in the original timeline.

There's also a theory that birds are actually robot spies for the government. https://inewsnetwork.net/4582/humor/pig ... ent-spies/
By twitcher
My college years were devoted to becoming a physicist and I have maintained a strong interest to this day. The universe is far more mysterious than we can even state or imagine If this stuff interests you and you want to learn more about the real mysteries, I strongly recommend quantamagazine.org. This is a free, web-based magazine that tracks serious developments in science and mathematics. The articles make an effort to reasonably explain current developments is real science and make the difficult more approachable. I find it fascinating.

When I was initially studying physics, the practitioners were somewhat arrogant, believing that they understood most of what was reality, and just needed to fill in the gaps. Well, add about 40 years and physics has become a bewildering collage of advanced knowledge and mysteries that challenge to make sense and fit in what is known. Wonderful!! Interestingly its getting harder and harder to do experiments that can further illuminate the natural laws that create the mysteries. We may never know what is going on.

You may also want to take a look on youtube for a vid titled "A Universe from Nothing" Somewhat controversial, an hour will likely be mind expanding.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By sanguinearocks101
evenwind wrote:@ChefDean That reminds of an Arthur C. Clark short story "The Nine Billion Names of God", written in the early days of computers (1953). A group of Tibetan monks believe that once they write down all the names, the universe will be complete and will end. They've been writing down names for centuries. So they hire some computer people to speed it up. At the end of the story, the computer people leave the monastery while the computer finishes it's final run (they don't want to be around when the monks find out that they were wrong). As they ride away, the stars are winking out.
I've just finished reading it, it was a pretty good read but I tend to like longer books. Let me know if you have any other books like that, I'm desperate for something to read.
By Artchic528
twitcher wrote:My college years were devoted to becoming a physicist and I have maintained a strong interest to this day. The universe is far more mysterious than we can even state or imagine If this stuff interests you and you want to learn more about the real mysteries, I strongly recommend quantamagazine.org. This is a free, web-based magazine that tracks serious developments in science and mathematics. The articles make an effort to reasonably explain current developments is real science and make the difficult more approachable. I find it fascinating.

When I was initially studying physics, the practitioners were somewhat arrogant, believing that they understood most of what was reality, and just needed to fill in the gaps. Well, add about 40 years and physics has become a bewildering collage of advanced knowledge and mysteries that challenge to make sense and fit in what is known. Wonderful!! Interestingly its getting harder and harder to do experiments that can further illuminate the natural laws that create the mysteries. We may never know what is going on.

You may also want to take a look on youtube for a vid titled "A Universe from Nothing" Somewhat controversial, an hour will likely be mind expanding.
I watched a show on the Science Channel (or some Discovery Network channel) that said that it is impossible for us to fully understand everything about the Universe and all it's inner most workings because we can only experience it in 3 dimensions, and not in all the dimensions it has. Apparently, there are many more dimensions beyond are ability to experience because they twist up and around themselves like a cooked spaghetti noodle, and phase in and out of other dimensions faster than we can calculate. Or so physicists theorize.

How true this statement is can be debated, and probably has been among the scientific community. Granted, it's not the most far fetched concept or idea ever thought up. We have a whole community of people who strongly believe that alien beings landed on earth thousands, if not tens of thousands of years ago and shared their advanced knowledge with significant members of societies the world over. Some have even go so far as to believe these "ancient astronauts" not only came to earth in ancient times, but altered the very DNA of our most ancient of humanoid ancestors and basically created us (homo sapiens). This is actually the basis for the belief system of Scientology.

These are not to be confused with people who believe that a race of highly evolved anthropomorphic lizard like aliens called Reptilians have not only come to Earth, but that they can morph their physical features in such a way as fool actual people into thinking they're another human and walk among us undetected. They use this ability to disguise themselves as human to gain seats of power in our society in order to manipulate the course of history and to keep us under their control. Apparently they've been doing this for centuries, if not longer.
By evenwind
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:23 am I've just finished reading it, it was a pretty good read but I tend to like longer books. Let me know if you have any other books like that, I'm desperate for something to read.
Have you read Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber? First of a classic series. Or maybe (for a different take on the world) Pratchett's Disk World books? (Small Gods is a good starting place.)
By Artchic528
evenwind wrote:
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:23 am I've just finished reading it, it was a pretty good read but I tend to like longer books. Let me know if you have any other books like that, I'm desperate for something to read.
Have you read Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber? First of a classic series. Or maybe (for a different take on the world) Pratchett's Disk World books? (Small Gods is a good starting place.)
Pratchett? As in Terry Pratchett? I both watched and read "Good Omens". I believe it's about the darned funniest thing I've read in a good long while. It also makes me a bit emotional knowing his dying wish to his good friend was to make the book into the best screen adaptation it could possibly be. I think he would be very proud to see what a cultural phenomenon it has become. Also, David Tennant and Michael Sheen were born to play the roles of Crowley and Aziraphale respectively. I mean, where does the character end and the actor begin? And such on screen chemistry! I also laugh at the Catholic Church's attempt to bar it from being shown. Just made people want to watch it all the more. :lol:
By Artchic528
Copper2 wrote:Well if there’s aliens called Reptilians in all the places of power and one knew about it then I guess it would explain all the serial killers and assassination attempts
Or it could be explained away as the murderers being psychologically disturbed. A convenient cover up for the Reptilians to use.
By evenwind
Artchic528 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:03 am Pratchett? As in Terry Pratchett? I both watched and read "Good Omens". I believe it's about the darned funniest thing I've read in a good long while
If you liked "Good Omens" that much, you owe it to yourself to dive into the "Disk World" books. The earlier books are the richest. The scope of his imagination and ability to pick apart our expectations was immense. Sadly, but not unexpectedly, the later books lost a lot of the inventiveness as the Alzheimer's took over.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!