FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Venus-son
I recently got a Justina Davis venus flytrap(the all green one) and it sits underneath my window, it does get light and sunlight, it's in the soil that it came with(looks like peat moss and white ball things...perlite?) And I'm worried it can go into dormancy from being under a cold window each night, even though it's summer I sleep with a fan and have both windows open so a cold breeze blows in and it gets pretty cold underneath my window.

There's also a house next door blocking full sunlight so only at a particular few hours a day it gets direct sunlight from my window.
By Cross
Current theory is that cold is only a tiny factor in dormancy and that the real factor is light. If you have the spare 20.00, I'd pick to a desk lamp and an led light bulb. I doubt it would go into dormancy, if it's not getting much light, it may. I haven't seen a justina, could you share a picture?Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Cross
Venus-son wrote:And I'm worried it can go into dormancy from being under a cold window each night, even though it's summer I sleep with a fan and have both windows open so a cold breeze blows in and it gets pretty cold underneath my window.
Why not just move it at night? I do this with all my plants because the cats live vfts

By Venus-son
Cross wrote:
Venus-son wrote:And I'm worried it can go into dormancy from being under a cold window each night, even though it's summer I sleep with a fan and have both windows open so a cold breeze blows in and it gets pretty cold underneath my window.
Why not just move it at night? I do this with all my plants because the cats live vfts

I have been moving it but I'm not sure if that will disrupt anything if I keep moving it around, I make sure it gets at least 12 hours of light each day
By Cross
Nah, I move mine every day. I have 4....7 plants in all. I move them all every morning and night. I don't shake them up, but I can't imagine that picking it up and moving it a few feet is going to damage it.

By Cross
Here's mine. Everyone is just waking up from dormancy, so they're still small. But I move them every day. If I don't, well.... I get a reminder I'd the other day when the cats ate a few of them. ImageImage

By Venus-son
Cross wrote:Nah, I move mine every day. I have 4....7 plants in all. I move them all every morning and night. I don't shake them up, but I can't imagine that picking it up and moving it a few feet is going to damage it.

Yeah probably shouldn't do anything, but I have noticed the cilia on all the bigger ones turning brown but nothing on Google has an explanation
By Cross
Traps get old and die. They can handle cool weather, but your specific cultivator may not handle cooler temps. I would just move him at night, possibly look into a lamp if there isn't enough sun. I will say that on some of my traps, the cilia turns a brownish red far before the rest of the trap will turn red. I'm sure he's okay, what temps and light do you get during the day? I can't imagine your room gets cold enough at night to damage it. But if it's hot during the day and cold at night, the temp difference might be messing it up.

By Venus-son
Cross wrote:Traps get old and die. They can handle cool weather, but your specific cultivator may not handle cooler temps. I would just move him at night, possibly look into a lamp if there isn't enough sun. I will say that on some of my traps, the cilia turns a brownish red far before the rest of the trap will turn red. I'm sure he's okay, what temps and light do you get during the day? I can't imagine your room gets cold enough at night to damage it. But if it's hot during the day and cold at night, the temp difference might be messing it up.

It gets quite warm during the day up to 27°C sometimes higher or lower but in summer always above 20°C and at night the wind is mostly always cold, I've been putting it next to my hamsters cage each night so that it doesn't sit under the wind. It gets about a 12-13 hour light period by my window and in the afternoon the sun directly hits the plants for about 2 hours
By Cross
Yeah, I would just keep it away from the high temp changes. Vfts are from NC, where I lived in NC actually. They grow in a very small area. The weather there can get hot, black flag hot. It can drop down to 30's sometimes, but never usually for long. It rarely shows and rarely rains when it's below freezing. So they're not usually ever wet and cold. Do you have a close up picture?

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!