FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By CougarX
Hi guys is there anything wrong with my plants as all of them turning black! Image

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
By Secretariat73
At first glance, the damage resembles the effects of mineral burn to me, but we would need more details to verify the cause of the problem. Where are you located, and what are your growing conditions? When was the plant last repotted? How long has the plant been in decline?
By CougarX
Secretariat73 wrote:At first glance, the damage resembles the effects of mineral burn to me, but we would need more details to verify the cause of the problem. Where are you located, and what are your growing conditions? When was the plant last repotted? How long has the plant been in decline?
I'm using distilled water and I put my pot outside when it rains or shine I don't even take them in, this pot is less than 2 years

By CougarX
Secretariat73 wrote:At first glance, the damage resembles the effects of mineral burn to me, but we would need more details to verify the cause of the problem. Where are you located, and what are your growing conditions? When was the plant last repotted? How long has the plant been in decline?
Could it be domancy? Cause I'm living in singapore we don't experience 4 season in a year, only rain or shine just recently the weather here is having heavy rain and very little sunlight

By Secretariat73
CougarX wrote:Could it be domancy? Cause I'm living in singapore we don't experience 4 season in a year, only rain or shine just recently the weather here is having heavy rain and very little sunlight

Dormancy (or rather the lack of it) could very well be the issue here. While seedlings can skip their first year of dormancy, older plants will gradually decline and die if not provided a rest period. In tropical countries, the refrigerator method for dormancy is an option, but I have no experience with it and am not sure if it is too late to try. :(
By CougarX
Secretariat73 wrote:
CougarX wrote:Could it be domancy? Cause I'm living in singapore we don't experience 4 season in a year, only rain or shine just recently the weather here is having heavy rain and very little sunlight

Dormancy (or rather the lack of it) could very well be the issue here. While seedlings can skip their first year of dormancy, older plants will gradually decline and die if not provided a rest period. In tropical countries, the refrigerator method for dormancy is an option, but I have no experience with it and am not sure if it is too late to try. :(
Is a must for them to go into dormacy? So not going into dormacy could also make them die?

By Secretariat73
CougarX wrote:
Secretariat73 wrote:

Is a must for them to go into dormacy? So not going into dormacy could also make them die?

Yes. Unfortunately, lack of dormancy will cause the plant to eventually die. Once out of the seedling stage, these plants require a rest period. :(
By CougarX
Secretariat73 wrote:
CougarX wrote:
Secretariat73 wrote: Dormancy (or rather the lack of it) could very well be the issue here. While seedlings can skip their first year of dormancy, older plants will gradually decline and die if not provided a rest period. In tropical countries, the refrigerator method for dormancy is an option, but I have no experience with it and am not sure if it is too late to try. :(

Yes. Unfortunately, lack of dormancy will cause the plant to eventually die. Once out of the seedling stage, these plants require a rest period. :(
But now I guess is in dormacy stage? The older traps are dying off but I can see the new traps are coming out but only a few of it where you can see in the picture

By Secretariat73
CougarX wrote:
Secretariat73 wrote:
But now I guess is in dormacy stage? The older traps are dying off but I can see the new traps are coming out but only a few of it where you can see in the picture

Growth will slow down and become smaller when a flytrap is gradually failing or when it enters dormancy. It is possible that your plant is growing in a microclimate that has allowed it to naturally enter dormancy, but only time will tell.
By CougarX
Secretariat73 wrote:
CougarX wrote:
Secretariat73 wrote:

Growth will slow down and become smaller when a flytrap is gradually failing or when it enters dormancy. It is possible that your plant is growing in a microclimate that has allowed it to naturally enter dormancy, but only time will tell.
So during dormacy can I still put them under sunlight?

By Secretariat73
CougarX wrote:So during dormacy can I still put them under sunlight?

If we assume the plants have naturally entered dormancy, I would pretty much continue caring for them as you have up until now. They should do fine in sunlight. The only exception would be to keep the lfsm just moist and not wet. Flytraps prefer drier conditions during dormancy.
By CougarX
Secretariat73 wrote:

If we assume the plants have naturally entered dormancy, I would pretty much continue caring for them as you have up until now. They should do fine in sunlight. The only exception would be to keep the lfsm just moist and not wet. Flytraps prefer drier conditions during dormancy.
Okay thanks for the help! Will keep updating as to ensure the plant did actually went into dormacy in a natural state.

By CougarX
Secretariat73 wrote:

Not really sure if it went into dormacy or rather I found quite a number of few seeds around my plants I didn't actually know what was going on. They are coming back to live now but as for the seed I'm a little confused not knowing if they will grow or how my traps actually produce them.

By RhysKi
I have some seedlings, as well, that are only shy of 5 months old. Growth was huge and fast at first (some with 9-14 traps per plant!) However, since it's become a bit colder outside near my window some of the traps have begun to die back, though, despite the fact that my heating sources have not changed. Trap replacement is also either taking weeks or not happening at all...

Is it possible for even seedlings to "try" to go into dormancy by themselves , or is that only something I can assist them into doing once they're older?
VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I have left ventrata cuttings outside till the nig[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!