FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Anzenix
What do you do with spiders? I'm getting a lot of webbing around my pitcher plants and some have the gall to setup camp at the mouth of the plant. Do you all leave them, destroy their webs or...?
By Anzenix
Im a fan of certain spiders but not all lol I don't mind them just not on my plants! :lol: but.. they have been catching some kind of larvae of some sort so maybe they are doing me a favor?
By cpgrower126
I have a mini-bog, and I have counted over 6 spiders, and I’m sure there’s more. I leave them be.
Anzenix liked this
By Cross
Anzenix wrote:What do you do with spiders? I'm getting a lot of webbing around my pitcher plants and some have the gall to setup camp at the mouth of the plant. Do you all leave them, destroy their webs or...?
Well.... I would rehome him.... into a spider home and on my shelf with the rest of my spiders and mantises lol. Honestly, it depends on the spider. But typically I don't leave them there.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Anzenix liked this
By andynorth
Anzenix wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:14 pm What do you do with spiders? I'm getting a lot of webbing around my pitcher plants and some have the gall to setup camp at the mouth of the plant. Do you all leave them, destroy their webs or...?
You mean like this? I left him alone and he moved out fairly soon.
Attachments:
20220828_124452.jpg
20220828_124452.jpg (399.42 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Jedikinigit liked this
By DragonsEye
Spidies are your friends! Honestly, I would let them be. For those that are homing themselves in the mouth of your Sarrs, keep in mind that any bugs they catch, afterwards they drop the bodies directly into the pitcher and also when the spider defecates it defecating directly into the pitcher so you’re still getting some nutrients from it. Also, depending on the insect and the type of spider in question, if it’s one of the ambush predators like a crab spider then there’s a possibility that something insects that wind up in the pitcher — once the spiders done with them — are ones the pitcher never would’ve succeeded in getting anyhow. I have seen on any number of occasions, insects moving about the lip and peristome of a Sarr that then simply moved on and never got caught. But the ambush predators tend to grab some of those same insects and feed on them. So, in that respect, they might actually be helping. Also, I would keep in mind the reality that if you’re growing boggy type plants, you’re probably gonna have mosquitoes all around. Spiders particularly the orb weavers can be extremely beneficial because they will pick those suckers off.
Anzenix liked this
By Jedikinigit
I had the amazing opportunity to see some lovely leucophyllas in the wild. One of them had this fella hanging out, I would not have even seen it if it had not moved. Wondering if it might actually be a species of spider endemic to these given the amazing camouflage.
Attachments:
Leucophylla_Spider.jpg
Leucophylla_Spider.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 394 times
andynorth, Anzenix liked this
By Cross
Jedikinigit wrote:I had the amazing opportunity to see some lovely leucophyllas in the wild. One of them had this fella hanging out, I would not have even seen it if it had not moved. Wondering if it might actually be a species of spider endemic to these given the amazing camouflage.
I almost didn't see him there! That's a crab spider. Rather harmless. But they have this super unique feature. They tend to take up the coloration of what their born on. Isn't that so cool. Not all crab spiders are like that, but some are. That sarracenia is gorgeous. They're on my future list.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Jedikinigit liked this
By Jedikinigit
What a great name! Totally fits with the way they hold their legs.
By DragonsEye
There is at least one species of crab spider that is known to have the ability to change coloration. This would be the golden rod, Kratt spider and they can change from white to yellow and back again. A number of the other crab spider species simply produce offspring in a variety of colors, and those that find a location that matches their coloration are more likely to survive and do better than those that themselves in the wrong type of flower or plant. I don’t know if any research has been done on whether the crabs spiders of different colors know what color they are and are able to pick a location/plant/flower that matches the coloration or if it’s just happenstance.
Jedikinigit liked this
Time for a repot?

These flytraps have been living in these pots for […]

Hello!

Welcome.

Me? I probably don't, just a spidermite issue, b[…]

RO water for Carnivorous Plants

I already have zero water pitchers. I have over[…]

SASE received from ???

I have received a SASE from a South Carolina addre[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1715. I'll PM[…]

Seeds received, thanks to you and the donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!