FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By bcavanau
I assume that Maxsea would boost growth for seedlings the same as grown plants. As I understand, misting Maxsea can cause unwanted growth of algae/mold.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just skip it and stick to water/light and wait it out?

Thanks,
Brian
By evenwind
I use a syringe with a 32 gauge dispensing needle (no point) to create tiny droplets that are individually placed on the seedling's tentacles. Well, I try for just the tentacles but the drop usually covers the whole tip of the leaf. I do this selectively, no more one or two droplets per seedling. And only the larger seedlings - the ones that are stronger to start with.
By MaxVft
evenwind wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:50 pm I use a syringe with a 32 gauge dispensing needle (no point) to create tiny droplets that are individually placed on the seedling's tentacles.
Something Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/20-Pack-Dispensi ... B07VQ5VKG4
By evenwind
Something exactly like that.
By bcavanau
Thanks, that is what I do for my more mature plants, just wasn't looking forward to the tedious task of doing that with a few hundred seedlings :)
MaxVft liked this
By evenwind
As I said, I cut down on the tedium because I don't try to fertilize each seedling. I've found by the time that they're 1/4" to 1/2", there are always a few that far larger than their pot mates. These are the ones I fertilize, adding to their genetic and/or superior physical placement in the pot. I know it seems counter-intuitive -why not fertilize the smaller ones to help them catch up? I used to do that and wound up with far too many plants taking up far too much space, far more than I could sell or giveaway. Of course, I'm not growing anything rare or expensive, so different rules could apply. But if I can raise 3 or 4 seedlings of a type to maturity, then I'm satisfied.
elaineo, MaxVft liked this
By bcavanau
Yes, mostly drosera, and some sarracenia....no dionaea have appeared yet.

Sarracenia were planted separately, and the drosera are way to small for me to re-pot with my eyesight and huge mitts :).
IMG_1051.jpg
IMG_1051.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 8240 times
IMG_1052.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 8240 times
IMG_1053.jpg
IMG_1053.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 8240 times
By MaxVft
evenwind wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:02 pm As I said, I cut down on the tedium because I don't try to fertilize each seedling. I've found by the time that they're 1/4" to 1/2", there are always a few that far larger than their pot mates. These are the ones I fertilize, adding to their genetic and/or superior physical placement in the pot. I know it seems counter-intuitive -why not fertilize the smaller ones to help them catch up? I used to do that and wound up with far too many plants taking up far too much space, far more than I could sell or giveaway. Of course, I'm not growing anything rare or expensive, so different rules could apply. But if I can raise 3 or 4 seedlings of a type to maturity, then I'm satisfied.
Ah, that's actually a really good idea! I was worried I wouldn't have enough room to individually hold each and every single baby :mrgreen:
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!