FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By spruill771
Ordered some sarracenia and drosera seeds from eBay the other day. I was kind of pondering if I should wait out till next spring to plant them? Is late August/early September too late to produce germination and survive through the upcoming winter?
By Huntsmanshorn
Most Sarrs and temperate Drosera need stratification so you're going to what to do that first anyway. Once you are done with that then you should be all set.
By nimbulan
You can stratify in the fridge and start the seeds indoors under lights over winter if you like, and then move them outside in spring. If you get a solid winter where you're at in Florida you could just sow the seeds outside and let them stratify naturally too.
By spruill771
nimbulan wrote:You can stratify in the fridge and start the seeds indoors under lights over winter if you like, and then move them outside in spring. If you get a solid winter where you're at in Florida you could just sow the seeds outside and let them stratify naturally too.
hollyhock wrote:Sarracenia seeds 6-8 weeks cold stratification like huntsmanhorn said. What type of Drosera seeds did you purchase? If they are tropical no need for stratification.
I bought some drosera intermedia and drosera aliciae. One is temperate and another is tropical. I think I'm going to go with that advice and grow them under my LED rack with my drosophyllums, and byblis then introduce them outside in the spring. I live in central Alabama now (I couldn't figure out how to change my location on the forum) and it drops below freezing frequently and sees annual snowfall. I don't think I want to risk that.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!