FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By ironjaws
I apologize for saying I've got 10 seeds that have sprouted; truth is that at the moment there 12 that are sprouting :D !!!

I tried taking a picture, seeing as how some of them are coming along, but to do so I would have to move my setup; and since everything is going well, I don't want to move anything.

However... ;)
can see 3 seedlings coming.jpg
can see 3 seedlings coming.jpg (54.71 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
You can see three seeds that have sprouted, two greens and at the top of the pic the only red so far!

Here's a closer pic of the red and one of the greens.
closer on the red and green.jpg
closer on the red and green.jpg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
These were pretty much the only pics I could take without moving my rig. I'm pretty excited that so far I've got 12 of these babies; 3 seeds I can't tell for sure if they have germinated, but so far it's a pretty kick @s$ germination rate :P !
By ironjaws
The mantra(or chant, or prayer depending on where you are coming from) for carnivorous plants is "patience will bring rewards", or " patience will reward you" or something to that effect.

I seriously am really very antsy as to what my little seedlings will look like, although I am chanting as loud as I can.

Remember, Grasshopper. "Patience brings virtue". If you're old enough; I don't know if that was ever said on the show, but I mean something to that effect ;) ...
By Zombie_walker
I'm so jealous of your red seedling! Also Great Job growing Ironjaws ^-^ I went straight to my seedlings to look them over and see if I was lucky too. No luck so far but one of my seedlings finally spread it's little leaves apart since I checked a couple hours ago.
By ironjaws
I'm going to say that, officially, 12 of the 15 have germinated; not bad for a rook, eh? Here are some pics, some are kinda hard to see but they are there.
2 in this one.jpg
2 in this one.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
one hiding behind some peat.jpg
one hiding behind some peat.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
this one has 3 actually, there's one at the very top center of the pic
this one has 3 actually, there's one at the very top center of the pic
only two in this one.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
the red with the 2 greens.jpg
the red with the 2 greens.jpg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
this one also has 3, there's one on the right side... kinda hard to spot it.
this one also has 3, there's one on the right side... kinda hard to spot it.
this was one of the last ones to germinate, may be a big one later.jpg (56.25 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
So, I have read the section on growing flytraps from seed. It says that once the seeds have germinated you can remove the covering and place the seedlings in direct sunlight.

1.Does that mean that as soon as a seed shoots out some green(or red) that it has become a seedling? Even when it has yet to develop a true trap?

2.Or is a seedling a plant that has its first true trap?

3.Should I remove the covering already, based on the growth seen in the pictures? Will the drop in humidity damage/kill( :shock: ) the seedlings, or freshly germinated seeds?

4.Can I start watering these babies like I'd normally water flytraps?

5.Why does a robot need a cod piece?(TV show reference, if anyone gets it :roll: ).

Thanks for any/all tips/advice :D .
By Matt
ironjaws wrote:1.Does that mean that as soon as a seed shoots out some green(or red) that it has become a seedling? Even when it has yet to develop a true trap?
Yes, as soon as the seeds germinate, the lid can be removed and the seedlings can be placed in direct sunlight, though I'd probably keep them in filtered sunlight for a while to protect them from getting too hot.
ironjaws wrote:3.Should I remove the covering already, based on the growth seen in the pictures? Will the drop in humidity damage/kill( ) the seedlings, or freshly germinated seeds?
Yes, the cover can be removed. No, the humidity drop won't kill the seedlings because the humidity near the surface of the soil will remain high as long as the soil is damp.
ironjaws wrote:4.Can I start watering these babies like I'd normally water flytraps?
No. They'll need the surface of the soil to remain damp at all times, until they can get a root down, or they'll dry out and die.
ironjaws wrote:5.Why does a robot need a cod piece?(TV show reference, if anyone gets it ).
Sorry, it's over my head. I'm not much into popular culture :shock:
By ironjaws
Thanks, Matt, for the clarification :) . "Why does a robot need a codpiece?" is from the cartoon Futurama(Bender asked that question).

Anyway, here are some pics with updates on these little buggers :D . This one shows the teeth forming on one of them.
kinda see the teeth.jpg
kinda see the teeth.jpg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
Here's another bugger.
How cool is this?
How cool is this?
Teeth coming in.jpg (29.69 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
Six to Seven are starting to form their second trap, and a couple working on their first, while still some others are kinda runt-like. The pic with the teeth is the one that is most developed and the one that is least developed looks like this:
runt.jpg
runt.jpg (41.19 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
Should I start to water them like I normally water flytraps(just moist)?

I'm guessing that when the second trap starts to form, it's a safe bet to guess that there are already some roots formed and that the soil should begin to be kept just moist to prevent root rot and mold/fungi. Would I be correct?
By Matt
They're looking good!
ironjaws wrote:Should I start to water them like I normally water flytraps(just moist)?
Yes, as long as the surface of the soil is moist, they will do fine. Best to keep them moist rather than too wet, or you'll end up with algae problems and potentially mold issues too.
By ironjaws
I've got new pictures: Most of these lil guys are pretty vigorous!
pot o seedgrowns11.16.13.jpg
pot o seedgrowns11.16.13.jpg (52.89 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
here's the runt of the litter
here's the runt of the litter
11.16.13i.jpg (39.82 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
so far this is the only green one.
so far this is the only green one.
11.16.13h.jpg (38.96 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
weird teeth, can't tell if it got burned...
weird teeth, can't tell if it got burned...
11.16.13d.jpg (51.25 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
this one's an interesting looking one.
this one's an interesting looking one.
11.16.13c.jpg (48.71 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
11.16.13b.jpg
11.16.13b.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
11.16.13a.jpg
11.16.13a.jpg (50.6 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
two open traps, four total traps... so far...
two open traps, four total traps... so far...
11.16.13.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
here's another angle on the two open traps, four total.
here's another angle on the two open traps, four total.
11.16.13g.jpg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
These guys are growing pretty quickly; they are quite vigorous and colorful. I've decided NOT to have these babies skip their first dormancy. I plan on having them go through dormancy from February to May next year.

I'm positive that these cuties are going to look friggin' awesome next year!!!
By Dionae
My process is pretty simple. 50/50 peat/sand really moist. Seeds on top and place the pot in a ziploc baggie. I've found this a great way to grow them to quite a nice size before removing from the bag if you forget to/have too much to water. I keep mine bagged until they have 3 traps and its worked great for me and no accidental drying out deaths.
By ironjaws
So I was oohing and awing at these guys and noticed that one of them looks a bit weird: it looks like it is growing with the rhizome ON TOP of the soil :shock: . I could be wrong, but if it really is on top of the soil it seems to be doing fine :P .
11.21.13.jpg
11.21.13.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
11.21.13a.jpg
11.21.13a.jpg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
11.21.13b.jpg
11.21.13b.jpg (48 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
11.21.13c.jpg
11.21.13c.jpg (48.84 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
11.21.13d.jpg
11.21.13d.jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
11.21.13e.jpg
11.21.13e.jpg (41.8 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
I may very well have to wait until it gets bigger to be able to tell for certain, but yeah, kinda weird, huh?

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!