FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Chad venneau
This bulb has shot out soo much growth in the past week and I have no clue what it is. Looking at it further it looks like flytraps being pushed out. I cant seem to find a picture of a bulb of any type of carnivorous plant but this was definitely a bulb when I put it in the pot. What would you call this bulb that was bare prior because I’d love to buy more of these.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 4180 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 4180 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 4180 times
By Chad venneau
No it legitimately looked like a bulb of most plants a perfect circle about the size of a silver dollar. Has red riddled through it but it’s a bulb with two seperate rhizomes coming off each side. It’s so odd to see because I have yet to see a picture of this bulb pushing out rhizomes, but lo and behold it’s here lol. I wish I knew the verbeage for the name of this bulb because the amount of energy it seems to have stored is insane.
By Chad venneau
But that’s exactly what it looks like on both sides of the growth coming out of this bulb dean.
By Chad venneau
Another odd thing if you look closely is the rhizome has red streaked through the base. I’m willing to send more pictures if it will help but I’m new to Venus fly traps and I can’t find any picture matching this has me intrigued.
By MaxVft
The red on the Rhizome is normal,all my flytraps have it and they are happy.
By Chad venneau
I’m moreso curious as to why they’re growing out of a bulb that’s producing rhizomes. Any ideas?
By MikeB
A flytrap can sprout a new growth point from the base of a leaf. Sometimes, multiple leaves will sprout new growth points at the same time. These pop out at the sides of the rhizome. That looks like what's happening here.
By Chad venneau
I understand leaf propagation but this isn’t a leaf. When I put it in the pot it was legitimately a bulb, now that bulb is pushing out rhizomes. Again I’ve yet to see, or hear of anything like this so I’m curious what I have lol. While it’s obvious now due to the trap it’s a flytrap I have no clue what this bulb is that’s pushing out massive growth. Looked like these and was certainly not a leaf pulling or a rhizome prior.
Attachments:
2CD0631F-1E48-4E5B-A31A-5BFD55252200.png
2CD0631F-1E48-4E5B-A31A-5BFD55252200.png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 4043 times
By Chad venneau
Hope I didn’t stress it too much removing but there it is a bulb pushing out rhizomes
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 4039 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.27 MiB) Viewed 4039 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (4.43 MiB) Viewed 4039 times
By Panman
Flytraps don't produce bulbs, per se. It is possible for a small rhizome to be compact enough to appear as a bulb. Sometimes it can be a mass of scar tissue that eventually will start growing roots and leaves, but it isn't truly a bulb. Those pictures look to me like a dying rhizome that sprouted new plants off of the side. How big was it when you planted it?
By Chad venneau
It was the size of a nickel ( said silver dollar earlier but def not that big) I guess that make sense but it was a hard mass in shape of a circle that seemed very healthy when I put in. It’s like the energy source for all these branches but looks nothing like a rhizome so I’ll assume it’s the collection of scar tissue. Only reason I’m confused about that is scar tissue is usually dead and this thing had good resistance when squeezed. I’ll just leave it up in the air I’m honestly just happy I am getting flytraps first time growing. Just have yet to see any images like this. Thank me for all your responses

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!