FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fieldofscreams
I bought this Sarracenia from a local garden center. It has spent its whole life in a big crappy green house, if you can even call it that. It was in one of those tinny pots so i repotted it and threw it out with my VFT's. Wish i had taken pics, it was a nice plant :lol:

It has experienced 5-6 very hard frosts and froze solid twice. Didn't even phase it. The sun however.....As expected all the pitchers sunburned and started dying.

The plant and nature will have to figure it out, all i can do is make sure the soil is sufficiently wet/moist.

I will update each month, going to be interesting to see what happens to it.

Last edited by Fieldofscreams on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Aozora
I had the same with my sarracenia purp. Freezing solid or being coverd in snow, nothing seemed to harm/kill it. But when spring came the sun burned all of the pitchers. So i cut off all the burned pitcher and now one month later its starting to form new ones.

These plants are almost impossible to kill :p
By Fieldofscreams
A little early for an update but she is putting up new pitchers, you can see 3 here. Only took 4 days for them to grow 2.5". I didn't realize how fast they grow once they start growing. This plant didn't grow anything for almost 3 months since I bought it and in a matter of 4 days grew these pitchers.

By Fieldofscreams
In a bit of a conundrum.

Have 7 new pitchers coming up. The old dying-ish pitchers are kind of blocking them and making them work to get up and out.

I'm debating trimming out the old dying-ish pitchers.

They are still half green so they are providing photosynthesis for the plant but making it difficult for the new pitchers.

To trim or not to trim.....
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!