FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By flytrapnumber1
The insides of my traps are green. I have seen a lot of pictures and the insides are red. Is this a problem if so what do I do. I live in Florida so the weather is pretty nice. I got the plant yesterday.
By Spuffy
The inside of traps will usually turn red when they are receiving enough light. If you're going to grow your plant outdoors, slowly acclimate it to full sunlight and it should colour up nicely. Again, do it slowly, don't just put it out in full sun all day every day or it will burn. Sometimes a trap will never go red no matter how much light it gets, but as long as the plant is healthy overall it's not really a problem.
By snapperhead51
yes I agree , there a out door plant and should be best grown out doors where weather and climate permit. but if you live where I do where temps can get over 40 c /120 f and more they need a bit of help too , like put in soak tray with lots of rain water in the soak try so they dont dry out , the sun is not the problem it usually the lack of water that kills them.
there is a lot of info on why the VFT traps turn red and why they dont, 1 is that the red attracts the pray by the colour but if fed to much it has no need to put the red colour out , so dont over feed your traps . 2 some VFT's are all green and just dont turn red at all .
3 even in full sun traps will not turn dark red until the sun a less UV strength , mine turn heavy red in winter sun where its not as strong , , 4 some times under the right artificial lights the plant will have a better red than the sun if you get the right lighting not all ways easy and info and products are not all ways what they say , you need to get that info from a person who is up with growing under lights . but natural sun is all ways best for Cp's , as its there natural growing way , you need know there particular growing habits and try to get as close to that as you can not the other way round

J
By Matt
Growing conditions do play some role, as Spuffy and John mentioned. Also, as John mentioned, genetics plays a huge role in terms of how much color flytraps are capable of attaining. Even in ideal conditions some flytraps never develop any red coloration (caused by anthocyanin).

This question has been asked many, many times on the forum. Here's an old post of mine with more information:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post1 ... ml#p154748
Matt liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!