FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Sander
Bill McEnaney wrote:
Sander wrote:judging from that picture, it has no lid, so thats a plus for venting and keeping temperatures down, but what i find hard is keeping a right water level, and im thinking of placing a "pot" with soil inside the terrarium so they will always have good light and i can see when they need wattering.

But judging from that pic, only thing that comes to mind is the danger of pests, if they infect one plant, u are scr... but otherwise, the light, humidity and temperate ought to be the same as when they are in a tray.
Sander, I uncovered the terrarium to make the plants easier to see.

I haven't seen any pests in there, no mold either. So I'm hoping that with my 48-watt grow light that gives 200 watts worth of light, the the brightness will inhibit mold. Although I thought I'd squirt the terrarium plants with the 3-in-1 fungicide I sprayed on my VFTs before I refrigerated them, I decided not to do that because Grey told me that it would be bad for the Ping.

Please tell me more about your terrarium idea because it interests me a lot. But I'm beginning to think that with my handicap, I need to keep my plants in pots to make them easier to handle. I probably will ask a nursery employee to pot the terrarium plants because she can uproot them more gently than I can. And I've thinking that I'll transplant the whole soil and all when I need to repot any CP because that may protect reduce transplant shock. If the plants could talk, they probably would say, "Don't worry sooooo much. We're tougher than you think."
Ok, just did a really fast and rough sketchup without dimensions (cause they would be dependant on the pots used).
There is a water tank on the side, which u can fill if u leave for extended periods (cheap self watering system), i drawed 3 plateaus, but dependiing on what i want and the pots im using i can make this more, or less, and ive drawn it as square, u can put peat against it and make it look sloped.

Depending on what species u have in there u can place them wetter or dryer according to hight.
I do want a fan in there on a humidity and temperature sensor, since there will always be water in if you are away and temperatures can rise, and let it turn on automatically when temps reach >32 degrees c or so and humidity at 70+%(RU).
This will create a very constant environment (at least i hope so), and according to what kind of plants u want in there u can adjust a whole lot, and make it as fancy as you want (like a top watering system, fogger heatpad etc).

Hope u understand my drawing, since im not a hero in these kind of things, usually i just start without drawing (its all in the head^^) and see where it takes me.
By Bill McEnaney
Daniel_G wrote:A good quote from goldslinger here.

"You know you're addicted to carnivorous plants when you wife says "It's me or the plants!" and you have to think about it.
The older I get, the less technology interests me. So after I install voice recognition software on mu iMac, I may tell the computer that I'm ditching it for my favorite flytraps, my red ones. Then the plants are going to yell, "Daddy, it's us or your operas. We can't stand 'em." :)
By Bill McEnaney
Excellent idea, Sander. I wouldn't know enough about engineering to invent anything like that. And it's great to see how much you and some other posters are willing to do to help their plants thrive. Of all the plant lovers I've met, people here seem to love their plants the most.
By Sander
Bill McEnaney wrote:Excellent idea, Sander. I wouldn't know enough about engineering to invent anything like that. And it's great to see how much you and some other posters are willing to do to help their plants thrive. Of all the plant lovers I've met, people here seem to love their plants the most.
Well, im doing a laboratory studie, but ive alwas had an interrest in engeneering, just started collecting CP's about 3 months ago, and currently have 10 different species (at least, if all my seeds germinate, i have about 5 seedlings/adult plants, and 6 more containers with seeds planted atm)
By Veronis
Bill McEnaney wrote:I may tell the computer that I'm ditching it for my favorite flytraps, my red ones.
If red flytraps are your favorite, I highly highly recommend the Maroon Monster if you don't already have one. It's out of stock atm, but it should be back soon enough.

It's the largest, most vigorous and robust red flytrap I've ever had, and its coloration is fantastic. Of all the red flytraps I've ever grown (and I've grown quite a few), it's easily my favorite.
By Bill McEnaney
Veronis wrote:If red flytraps are your favorite, I highly highly recommend the Maroon Monster if you don't already have one. It's out of stock atm, but it should be back soon enough.

It's the largest, most vigorous and robust red flytrap I've ever had, and its coloration is fantastic. Of all the red flytraps I've ever grown (and I've grown quite a few), it's easily my favorite.
Thanks for the great idea. I promise to order one when they're in back in stock. Matt and Leah sold me the most stunningly elegant VFT I've ever seen in person. So I hope the little guy will wake up this month. Meanwhile, if you see the "in stock" sign before I do, please tell me publicly or privately.
By Veronis
Bill McEnaney wrote:Matt and Leah sold me the most stunningly elegant VFT I've ever seen in person.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Bill McEnaney wrote:Meanwhile, if you see the "in stock" sign before I do, please tell me publicly or privately.
Will do!
By Sander
Bill McEnaney wrote:Sander, are you a scientist, or are you majoring in some science in college?
bachelor medical and biological laboratory research at university, currently starting on my graduation project (effect of glacial melt and sedimentation on phytoplankton communitys and virus-host interactions) at the royal dutch institute for sea research ^^
By Bill McEnaney
Sander wrote:
Bill McEnaney wrote:Sander, are you a scientist, or are you majoring in some science in college?
bachelor medical and biological laboratory research at university, currently starting on my graduation project (effect of glacial melt and sedimentation on phytoplankton communitys and virus-host interactions) at the royal dutch institute for sea research ^^
Sounds great. I'd love to hear much more. Please PM me or start a Chit Chat thread, so this thread will stay on topic. Viruses fascinate me.
By dantt99
Bill McEnaney wrote:So I hope the little guy will wake up this month. Meanwhile, if you see the "in stock" sign before I do, please tell me publicly or privately.
If you haven't, sign up to be notified when it's back in stock. They'll send you an email when they restock it.
By Bill McEnaney
Veronis wrote:
Bill McEnaney wrote:Matt and Leah sold me the most stunningly elegant VFT I've ever seen in person.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Bill McEnaney wrote:Meanwhile, if you see the "in stock" sign before I do, please tell me publicly or privately.
Will do!
Veronis, minutes ago, I ordered the Maroon Monster I promised to buy.

By the way, Droopy seems to love FTS New Zealand long fiber sphagnum moss. I thought repotting may have shocked the little guy, but he keeps growing.
By Bill McEnaney
Veronis wrote:Pics or it didn't happen.
You'll see them when that red plant gets big enough to pose for them. It's growing fast.
By parker679
Way to go on getting the Maroon Monster Bill.

I got one from a forum member a few weeks ago and even in it's dormant state it's a beautiful plant.

If you like red traps you're going to love this one.
By Bill McEnaney
parker679 wrote:Way to go on getting the Maroon Monster Bill.

I got one from a forum member a few weeks ago and even in it's dormant state it's a beautiful plant.

If you like red traps you're going to love this one.
Thanks, parker. I'm eager to see the new member of my family. :) In April, I'll buy the greenhouse, hire someone to build it, and put the plants into it, where they'll be much happier than they are now.

Anybody wanna suggest a name? :)
May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Since I’m sending a SASE anyway…

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!