FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By VFTnPups
Hello everyone! It’s been a while since I posted, but I’ve been scanning this forum and I had a question about my King Henry and an upright growing typical. A few years ago I noticed that my tall vft were almost completely burying themselves into the soil during the growing season. I would have to dig the plant out to free their leaves, since they would bury themselves up to their traps. They were divided and planted in peat/perlite/sand mix. I’d make sure to plant them so the rhizome was buried and their growth points were exposed and sure enough, it was like they were growing downwards instead of up. I have a DC XL and FTS Towering Giant coming and I don’t want the same thing to happen to them when I repot next year. I couldn’t find the pics I took, so I had to draw it instead. I apologize for the crappy drawing. Does anyone know what would cause a plant to bury themselves? I did not notice this with my low growing plants. Thank you.
Attachments:
5C6456A6-3D03-4F9B-AA3D-410FC13B6ACE.jpeg
5C6456A6-3D03-4F9B-AA3D-410FC13B6ACE.jpeg (522.81 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
By ChefDean
It sounds like the rhizome is growing very well and pushing the media away. However, with the pot, it can only go so far before being forced up, covering the plant.
Maybe try a deeper and wider pot, giving the media more room to be pushed away. Or, maybe try LFSM that will compact a little more rather than be pushed up and out.

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

Very first mini-bog! :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!