FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Kenneth
Got my new T5HO sunblasted 3ft maybe a week ago? My Home Depot ones are a little rough, but to my surprise they have flower stalks.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 4054 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 4054 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 4054 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 4054 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 4054 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 4054 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 4054 times
By Bhart90
My opinion, id cut off the flower stalks in light of how the home depot ones look. Look a bit rough
Bhart90 liked this
By boarderlib
I agree with Bart, I would cut those stalks off and let the plants focus on getting healthy and flowering next year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Big-Jack
I always cut the flower stalks unless I want the seeds and that is never the case with my typicals.
Big-Jack liked this
By Kenneth
Do I just cut them off now? I really want them to focus on traps and replacing all the old growth.
By somerandomband
Cut them as close to the base as possible, making sure not to nip any new growth in the base. You might accidentally set off a trap but the plant will figure out it doesn't have lunch and open it back up. I wouldn't let them flower right meow. You can take the stalks and clone the plant by setting the cut stalks next to the mother plant or putting them in some of the same soil off to the side.
By Kenneth
Just rescued another VFT. I’m not going to make the same mistakes I made with my first VFTs. I don’t have any more moss so I just rinsed a lot of times and added some moss on the top.
Attachments:
Just rescued a venus fly trap today from Home Depot! Sadly all the others are dead and moldy :( I need to check out Lowe’s so I can knock off a few plants on my list so I don’t need to order so much. I also looked for good moss and Home Depot didn’t have any u fortunately :(
Just rescued a venus fly trap today from Home Depot! Sadly all the others are dead and moldy :( I need to check out Lowe’s so I can knock off a few plants on my list so I don’t need to order so much. I also looked for good moss and Home Depot didn’t have any u fortunately :(
image.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 3959 times
By mouthstofeed
really a shame what goes on at the big box stores. vfts are amazing when they are healthy and well-taken care of. these mistreated stressed out plants don't do the vft justice.
mouthstofeed liked this
By Kenneth
I’m checking Lowe’s this week. Hopefully they have the moss I need. I will also be checking for more plants, hopefully a pinguicula or sarracenia. Wish me best of luck and will give update!
By Kenneth
Rescued 2 more healthy looking ones from Lowe’s! Looks like they are waking up from dormancy too, also got new moss as you can see. I will be repotting my venusfly traps that are in the mosser lee moss. I also got the BAYER Advanced 3 in 1 insect, disease, and mite control! Now I just have to read up on how to use the correct amount. I’m still taking more advice!
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 3806 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 3806 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 3806 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 3806 times
By FlyTrap Hunter
Kenneth wrote:Rescued 2 more healthy looking ones from Lowe’s! Looks like they are waking up from dormancy too, also got new moss as you can see. I will be repotting my venusfly traps that are in the mosser lee moss. I also got the BAYER Advanced 3 in 1 insect, disease, and mite control! Now I just have to read up on how to use the correct amount. I’m still taking more advice!
I doubt you find Sarracenia and pings at Lowe's. You might find a dormant rhizome pitcher plant there. Sounds like you have a good setup and on the way to having healthy fly traps.
FYI. I would stick with Fly Traps until you get that worked out. Sarracenia and pings are a whole different world of growing. They are really for advanced growers and I would make sure I know what I am doing before I made a investment. I am not insulting you. I have been growing a little while but they are still tough for me also. Good luck with it all.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By Audrey-2
You may want to move your plants a little closer to the T5's. I have mine as close as 2" if they don't have any flower stalks. You may find your plants tend to grow more flower stalks than usual under the T5HO lights. Mine also tend to grow traps from the flower stalks (false vivipary) after about a year when grown under T5 HO fluorescent lights.
Attachments:
B52
B52
20180404_182532.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 3806 times
Audrey-2 liked this
By Kenneth
Thanks. I will move them closer to lights and I will stick with fly traps for now.

Also check out my drosera capensis leaf cuttings! One leaf has multiple sprouts! I need help because one already is forming tentacles!
Attachments:
Tentacle?!
Tentacle?!
image.jpg (647.37 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
So happy x) Now I need to ready some tiny pots and clear plastic bags.
So happy x) Now I need to ready some tiny pots and clear plastic bags.
image.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 3746 times
By FlyTrap Hunter
Kenneth wrote:Thanks. I will move them closer to lights and I will stick with fly traps for now.

Also check out my drosera capensis leaf cuttings! One leaf has multiple sprouts! I need help because one already is forming tentacles!
Once the d. Capensis start growing like that you can just stick them in the soil and they will keep growing. They will grow leaves and roots right from the leaf. I started my strikes just by sticking the d. Capensis cutting right in the soil. They will probably grow in that orchid moss (lfsm) also but I have mine in a peat and sand mixture on top and a thick layer of lfsm on the bottom. And I keep mine almost saturated with water most the time. They love about all the water you can give them. Btw one of my favorite seed grown I got from Lowe's. It was $5. But it's a rare day when our local Lowe's has any CPs. FYI if you talk to whoever is stocking that department they will almost always discount the plants to half price because they only will live for a few weeks in those death cubes and they want to sell them. Never hurts to ask. Image Or ask when they are going to mark them down. Image

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By Kenneth
I never thought of that! Next time I’ll ask. I will pot in the cuttings after school. Maybe after breakfast if I have time. I’m so hyped the cuttings sprouted. So. Do I just pot them up and still keep them humid, can I put them and place them in a clear plastic bag? When do I open the bag?

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!