FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By alabama
its a t5 8 bulb 2ft 6400k light fixture with bulbs from hydrofarm its $216 with shipping and bulbs im getting for x-mas and was wonder could i keep it about 6 inches away from plants? or highers considering its 8x bulbs - 2k lumen per bulb 16k total so im hoping this will REALLY color up my B52s

let me know what cha think i think its like 190 watts total also maybe 196.
By Matt
You should be able to fit quite a few plants under that light and they'll do very well. 6 inches shouldn't be too close. I'd probably use a thermometer to make sure they don't get too hot but I'd guess that 6 inches would be far enough away to keep them from cooking.

Congrats on the great indoor growing setup. It should serve you well Tyler! And yes, I'd bet that your B52s color up really well underneath the lights as long as you don't feed them. I've noticed that feeding them causes the trap that's fed to stop coloring up.
By BradR
I have a T5 2ft. 4 bulb fixture. It is about 6-8 inches above the plants and it has really brought out the color of the flytraps (B52, Pink Venus, Dingley Giant etc.). Those produce a tremendous amount of light and very little heat. That distance is fine during winter when temps are cooler. They may need to be a little higher during summer. The 6500K bulbs are good for vegetative growth but if you want to encourage flowering you should use half 3000K bulbs and half 6500K

Good Luck,
Brad
By alabama
BradR wrote:I have a T5 2ft. 4 bulb fixture. It is about 6-8 inches above the plants and it has really brought out the color of the flytraps (B52, Pink Venus, Dingley Giant etc.). Those produce a tremendous amount of light and very little heat. That distance is fine during winter when temps are cooler. They may need to be a little higher during summer. The 6500K bulbs are good for vegetative growth but if you want to encourage flowering you should use half 3000K bulbs and half 6500K

Good Luck,
Brad
i actually dont want them to flower not in the closet anyway
im glad it will help them color up faster too their coloring up nice and bright red mouths just not to fast and yeah matt ive noticed feeding them actually reduces the colors, figured if i was gonna get a expensive light ima get one thats gonna work wonders and yep and its certainly almost winter here ours winter officially starts dec.21 @matt yes i have a thermometer in there and it reads the lowest temp and the highest temp and the highest it gets in there is 94 degrees but my dews and flytraps and seedlings seem to be loving it. so with this new light i should be seeing lots of new growth thanks matt this is gonna be the ultimate closet set up esp for TC next stop is a glasshouse!!!!

thanks for the replys.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!